Urban commuting is a common fact of modern day life. Millions of us, five days a week, climb into a car or onto a bike and set off for work. Usually on autopilot, little attention is often paid to the fact that we are actually placing our health and safety in the hands of other road users. Road traffic accidents happen everywhere, but some areas are particularly prone. Here are the top five most dangerous roads in Manchester:
- Stockport Road: Unveiled by the Manchester Evening News (MEN) as the most dangerous commuter route in Greater Manchester, the connection between the M60 and the inner city ring road has seen more than 780 road crashes in the last decade.
- Hyde Road: Another perilous stretch of tarmac connecting the motorway to the ring road, Hyde Road has averaged over 139 collisions per mile in the last ten years, according to figures from the MEN. 50 of these resulted in serious injury.
- Oldham Road: Statistics from the MEN show that this road has averaged at least one death per year for the last ten. Being injured in a road traffic accident is one thing, but a fatality is a tragedy on another scale. No matter how often you may drive the route, awareness of the potential of a road accident should always be high.
- Ashton Old Road: Whether heading out from the city or in from the M60, motorists on Ashton Old Road need to be on the lookout at all times. Like most major commuter roads, the traffic moves fast and is often filled with drivers in the ‘comfort zone.’ Complacency and familiarity can often lead to road traffic accidents.
- Rochdale Road: While MEN statistics show that this is the only road on this list to suffer fewer than 100 accidents per mile in the last ten years, 28 serious injuries and 11 deaths make for concerning reading. Road traffic accidents are frequent here.
If you think you have a case for compensation following a road traffic accident, get on the phone and call 0800 689 0500, or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile, to speak to Accident Advice Helpline. It’s free and there is no obligation to continue following your consultation. Championed by Esther Rantzen, we are a law firm with many years of experience.
Date Published: October 18, 2013
Author: David Brown
Category: Location Posts