How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you receive medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • **Required

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Suffering an accident on a public footpath

    If you’’ve been injured after suffering a slip, trip or fall in a public place or you’’ve had an accident on a public footpath, you may be able to claim compensation. If you have proof that you were not to blame for your injuries and the incident occurred within the last three years, call Accident Advice Helpline today.

    Who is liable for an accident on a public footpath?

    If you’’ve had a slip or trip on any other accident on a public footpath, you may have a case for public liability compensation, provided that you were not to blame for your injuries.

    No matter the kind of accident on a public footpath you experienced, if you weren’t at fault, you could claim. Examples of incidents, which may qualify for a compensation payout include:

    • tripping on poorly-maintained pathways and broken steps
    • injuries caused by falling over or into unmarked manholes
    • slipping on wet floors, which were not clearly marked
    • slipping on wet leaves, which should have been cleared up
    • injuries caused by falling roof tiles
    • falling over obstructions in doorways or stairwells
    • falling over uneven paving

    If you slip, trip or fall or have any other accident on a public footpath, and you believe that your injuries were caused by negligence on behalf of the council, you have the right to pursue a compensation claim against the local authority.

    What should I do next?

    If you’’ve had an accident in a public place, seek medical advice and get any injuries checked over. Write down your version of events; it’’s best to do this as quickly as possible, so that the details are fresh in your mind.

    Report the incident to the council or the business owner if you have had an accident in a shop or bar, for example. Ask anyone else who saw the accident to provide their contact details, so that they can offer a written statement to support your case.

    When you are ready to start the process of making a public place accident claim, call Accident Advice helpline. If you have a good case for public liability compensation, our personal injury lawyers will use the evidence to support your claim and hopefully secure the compensation you deserve.

    We work on a no-win, no-fee* basis and in most cases, our clients don’t go to court. We carry out most consultations over the telephone and we aim to process your claim with minimal stress and hassle.

    To find out more, give us a call today on 0800 689 0500, or 0333 500 0993 from a UK mobile.

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading name of Slater and Gordon UK Limited, a company registered in England & Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 125 446 327, registered office 50/52 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1HL and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for insurance mediation activity.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.