How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Other than injury, what things can I claim for?

    When claiming for compensation after a road traffic accident, for example, your compensation may include payments for general and special damages. So, other than the injuries sustained following an accident, many people ask, ‘What things can I claim for?’

    General damages

    General damages compensate you for the pain and suffering (including potential psychological effects like anxiety, depression, PTSD, and so on) your traffic accident injury is causing you. It also covers any loss of earnings.

    Special damages

    You may also claim for special damages, which may consist of:

    • Actual financial loss
    • Medical expenses
    • Travel expenses
    • Cost of Care
    • Cost of repairing/hiring a car

    The following describes these special damages in a little more detail.

    Actual financial loss

    Accidents on the road occasionally result in damage to clothing and/or other belongings in the car at the time of the vehicle collision. As these items may need to be replaced, the cost of replacing them may be claimed for under the heading ‘actual financial loss’.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Medical expenses

    Depending on the severity of the injury you sustained in your car accident, you may require medication or treatments you have to pay for (including private treatments).

    Travel expenses

    It may become necessary for you to pay for taxis or public transport to visit hospitals or other care facilities. Even if someone takes you to hospital appointments free of charge, there may be parking fees, etc.

    Cost of care

    Some car crash injuries leave victims in need of home care. In other cases, hospitalisation or disability of a person injured in a motoring accident makes it necessary to organise care for dependants (children, elderly or disabled parents or partners). The cost of such care can also be claimed for.

    Car hire/repair

    It is likely that traffic-related accidents will cause more or less substantial damage to your car. Depending on the extent of the damage and the amount of excess you have to pay on your insurance policy, it may be more cost effective in the long run to pay for necessary repairs rather than claiming on the insurance. You may also need to hire a car. Both repair and hire costs can be added to a compensation claim. To claim for any of these special damages it is necessary to keep relevant receipts as evidence of the cost incurred.

    Get advice

    If you believe you are entitled to passenger or driver injury compensation, but are unsure what to claim for, get some helpful advice from Accident Advice Helpline. Our law firm can also provide you with an in-house lawyer to help you conduct your claim.

    Call us today on 0800 689 0500 for more information and a free initial consultation, with no pressure to pursue your claim following our chat.

    Date Published: March 2, 2015

    Author: SM Content

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.