Faulty appliances can cause all sorts of damage to your home, as well as having the potential to cause personal injuries of varying severity. A faulty washing machine, for instance, may not only flood your home, but could also cause injuries by electrocution or injuries by slipping and falling. Electrical faults may also lead to fires or explosions, as could faulty gas cookers, boilers or heaters. It is therefore necessary to identify a faulty appliance and get the fault corrected as soon as possible.
Here are some of the signs to look out for in order to identify a faulty appliance.
How to identify a faulty appliance
Faults on electrical appliances can often be detected by signs including:
- Heat. If an appliance or part thereof feels extremely warm or hot to the touch, a fault causing overheating may be present.
- Frayed, loose or damaged wires
- Brown or black scorch marks, which may indicate sparking or overheating
- Fuses ‘blowing’ every time you switch on or plug in an appliance
Signs that help to identify a faulty appliance that is powered by gas include:
- Signs of corrosion, such as green discolouration, rust, or damage to pipework
- Smell of fumes or gas
- Black spillage marks, scorching or soot
- Pilot light with yellow flame
- Continually failing pilot light
- Frequent nausea or headaches when gas appliances are running also point to a faulty appliance.
Occasionally, a new appliance may be faulty or installed incorrectly. If this happens and you suffer injuries in an accident caused by a defective appliance, you could be eligible to make a personal injury claim.
This applies to injuries by slips, trips and falls or injuries by electrocution, fire or explosion as much as it does to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Accident Advice Helpline
We have a nationwide team of highly skilled in-house solicitors with over 15 years’ experience and an impeccable track record in dealing with faulty product claims.
Working for you under a conditional fee agreement, the solicitor we assign to your case will support you throughout every aspect of your personal injury claim in a friendly, professional and efficient manner.
You can have an advisor confirm your claim eligibility and get a solicitor assigned to you by calling us on 0333 500 0993 from a mobile, or 0800 689 0500 from a landline telephone, today. Both of these no-obligation freephone helplines are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Any details you provide will be kept strictly confidential.
Date Published: August 1, 2016
Author: Accident Advice