Forklift accidents can be extremely dangerous. A collision with a forklift has the added danger of toppling a heavy load which can cause serious, even fatal, injuries.
As a law firm boasting years of experience in all areas of personal injury compensation including accidents at work, we at Accident Advice Helpline have an expert knowledge of promoting health & safety in the workplace.
How forklift accidents happen
Here are five ways in which forklift accidents can manifest themselves.
- Overloading: This is one of the biggest factors that increases the risk of being involved in a forklift accident. An excessive load on a forklift can cause a forklift to topple and lose balance, spilling its load and creating the potential for a serious accident.
- Inadequate training: It is imperative to receive full training in the use of a forklift. Human error is a serious contributor to accidents involving forklifts. If you feel you have not been given adequate training, do not operate a forklift.
- Contaminated surfaces: A contaminated surface simply refers to a surface on which something has spilled such as oil or detergent. This can cause the surface to become slippery and increase the chance of a forklift toppling.
- Excessive speed: The centre of gravity of a forklift is not the same as many other vehicles. When carrying a load, a forklift can become heavy at the front, which decreases its ability to manoeuvre. Excessive speed places strain on the forklift and its components and can cause it to crash.
- Pedestrian accidents: Your vision may be obstructed when operating a forklift and it may be difficult to spot someone who has unknowingly walked in front of a forklift until it’s too late. Many forklifts will emit a noise to notify anyone in the vicinity that they are in operation. It is important to ensure that employees do not wear headphones in the warehouse as that can impair their judgement.
Claiming compensation for forklift accidents?
Have you been involved in a work-related accident involving a forklift within the last three years and it wasn’t your fault? You could be entitled to make a claim for work accident compensation.
Contact Accident Advice Helpline today on 0800 689 0500 for more information. All of our claims are made on a 100 per cent no-win no-fee* basis and the majority of claims are settled outside court.
Date Published: April 27, 2015
Author: Accident Advice