With its slippery and hard surfaces, the bathroom is one of the most dangerous places in your home when it comes to slips, trips and falls. Combine tile flooring with loose mats and moisture and a bathroom can really be a personal accident waiting to happen.
Every year hundreds of people suffer slipping injuries in the bathroom, which range from minor cuts and bruises to something much more serious. With a few alterations and precautions, it is possible to minimise the risk of accidents in the home and make your bathroom slip proof.
How to make your bathroom slip proof
There are many steps you can take to help make your bathroom slip proof, but here we take a look at just five simple suggestions, which will undoubtedly minimise the risk of accidents in your home.
- Lose the Rugs: These slippery floor coverings are regular cause of household accidents. If you want to keep mats or coverings in your bathroom, make sure you secure them with double sided tape or slip-resistant backings.
- Install Rails: You could consider fitting bars or rails in or around the bathtub, shower and toilet. When installed properly and securely, they can help you balance as you stand or sit, as well as giving you something to hold on to if you do lose your footing.
- Use Rubber Mats: Use non-slip strips, rubber mats or tiles in your bath tub and shower to help prevent falls, but remember to secure any loose corners in order to prevent tripping.
- Dry up: After you’ve got out of the bath or shower you should always dry the floor before someone else uses the bathroom. Something like a weighted shower curtain will help ensure that no water leaks onto the floor.
- Keep it Clean: Mould and mildew can grow easily and quickly in a dirty bathroom, mostly due to all the moisture. So make sure your sinks and bathtub are clean from grease and grime by cleaning surfaces regularly. This will reduce the risk of personal injuries brought about by slips.
What if you’ve been injured in a slip or fall that was not your fault?
There are plenty of companies who will offer to help you if you’ve been involved in an accident that wasn’t your fault, but it’s worth making sure you deal with a reputable and experienced company.
Accident Advice Helpline has years of experience of dealing with compensation claims, whether it’s a road traffic accident, work accident or trip or fall that wasn’t your fault, and our friendly and helpful team will explain everything you need to know in plain English over the phone.
Call us today on Freephone number, 0800 689 0500, for more information.