Types of poisonous plants and fungi vary, which is why it is important to explain to children not to eat any plants that are unfamiliar. Small coloured berries and pretty plants can be very appealing to children but they could become ill from eating them. It is rarely serious but eating from extremely poisonous plants such as foxglove can cause a bout of poisoning which can result in symptoms of vomiting, nausea and stomach pain. If eaten in large amounts it can be fatal.
Some types of mushrooms can cause poisoning with symptoms of vomiting and nausea. Other types cause hallucinations, diarrhoea and vomiting. To treat a patient with suspected poisoning, you must try to identify the poisonous plant if possible, and seek medical help if the patient’s condition is serious. They may be having seizures, hallucinations or they may not be conscious so it is best to call for medical help if you are unsure what is causing their condition.
Try to ask them what they have eaten and reassure them until help comes. Also, find out whether they ate plant leaves, berries or fungi to pass this information on to the doctors and keep any piece of the plant you can find. If the patient is unconscious you may have to do CPR. First check the airways and remove anything remaining that could be blocking them. You may have to give rescue breaths and chest compressions if they have a slow or no pulse or are not breathing regularly. If they are breathing normally, put them into the recovery position for safety until help comes.
Accidental plant poisoning
Poisonous plants and fungi should not be kept in the garden if there are likely to be children playing in your home. Children tend to explore by putting things in their mouths and may ingest something that causes them illness. However, your child may go on a day trip with their local play group, nursery or with their school and they may become exposed to more exotic plants. They may be on a trip to a large park or they may visit a garden centre where there are potentially poisonous plants. If your child does ingest anything poisonous, they may not have been aware that it was not supposed to be eaten. If this is the case, someone supervising them may have been at fault.
If you are thinking about claiming compensation for accidental poisoning, Accident Advice Helpline can represent you. We are a law firm which specialises in personal injury compensation claims and have helped thousands of victims to claim a cash sum when they have fallen ill because someone else was at fault. Should you wish to make a claim, give us a call on our free 24-hour phone line.
Date Published: October 2, 2014
Author: David Brown