How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Dealing with extreme gastroenteritis

    A bout of extreme gastroenteritis can soon put paid to a dream holiday. If you’’ve been involved in a travel accident, or you’’ve developed an illness as a result of negligence on the part of your tour operator, you should contact Accident Advice Helpline to see if you could claim compensation.

    What is extreme gastroenteritis?

    Extreme gastroenteritis is a severe form of diarrhoea and vomiting. In most cases, extreme gastroenteritis is linked to a bacterial or viral infection. Bacterial cases may be caused by food poisoning. As well as diarrhoea and vomiting, you may also experience fatigue, headaches, a sore throat and dehydration.

    In milder cases of gastroenteritis, treatment is not usually necessary. In cases of extreme gastroenteritis, you may need to seek medical advice. If you have a very high temperature, you can’’t keep fluids down or you start to feel faint or dizzy, call your doctor.

    Dehydration is a common complication of vomiting and diarrhoea and it can make you feel very weak, confused and light-headed. Treatments which may help include rehydration salts, a fluid drip and anti-vomiting medication.

    Can I claim compensation if I have food poisoning on holiday?

    If you suffer from gastroenteritis caused by food poisoning while holidaying abroad, it may be possible to claim travel accident compensation.

    Open Claim Calculator

    If you were eating at a hotel which is the responsibility of a UK travel agency, and you have proof that your illness was caused by negligence on the part of hotel staff, you may have a case for holiday accident compensation.

    If you are thinking about claiming compensation, write down all the details of your illness and where you were staying and what you ate.

    Ask other holidaymakers who are in the same boat to provide their contact details. Take photographs to support your claim if this is applicable, for example, if there is evidence of a dirty kitchen or poor hygiene in the restaurant.

    How do I make a compensation claim?

    If you’’d like to pursue a compensation claim, call Accident Advice Helpline. One of our helpful advisors will chat to you about your travel claim and if you meet the criteria, they will pass you on to one of our expert personal injury lawyers.

    Our legal team has over 15 years’ experience of handling holiday claims and they take over all the hard work, so you don’t have to deal with any more stress.

    Call us now on 0800 689 0500, or on 0333 500 0993 from a mobile.

    Date Published: April 6, 2016

    Author: Accident Advice

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.