The preparation and consumption of food is littered with potential hazards to health, whether it’s undercooked meats or poisonous vegetables, dangerous kitchen foods are more commonplace than we may think.
Apart from slips, trips and falls there are a number of hidden dangers in the kitchen particularly when it comes to foods that you might otherwise think to be perfectly safe to consume.
Although canned foods are usually preserved better meaning that they are less likely to cause health risks or illness, there are a few items that you need to be aware of when preparing and eating food, whether canned, fresh or frozen.
So what are these most dangerous of delicacies that could do us more harm than good?
Here are just a few
- Almonds: Technically seeds, almonds are incredibly dangerous to eat when raw. That’s because they contain cyanide which is activated whenever a raw almond is crushed or broken down.
- Potatoes: Glycoalkaloids can be found in the leaves, stems, and sprouts of potatoes and can be very dangerous. Also found in Nightshade, eating Glycoalkaloid can lead to cramping, diarrhoea, confused headaches, or even coma.
- Tomatoes: Not necessarily the tinned variety, but the stems and leaves of tomatoes contain alkali poisons that can cause stomach upsets and mild illnesses.
- Tuna: Tuna contains mercury, which, once in your body, will either pass through your kidneys, or travel to your brain. Although it’s unlikely that eating a massive amount of tuna will kill you, it’s a good idea to monitor your weekly consumption of the fish.
- Beans: Containing lectin, a plant protein that can act as an insecticide that can lead to numerous personal illnesses, beans aren’t always as good for you as people may think.
If you’ve suffered a personal illness or accident that wasn’t your fault what should you do?
Accident Advice Helpline deals with personal injury compensation claims and has years of experience assisting people who have suffered a road accident, been injured at work or had a slip, trip or fall.
Our friendly, professional advisors are available on the end of the phone and work purely on a no-win no-fee* basis.
With the majority of cases, there is no need to attend court as most of the information gathering is done over the telephone.
They also talk to you in plain English, so you know just where you are with your claim at all times. Call us today on 0800 689 0500 for more information.
Date Published: April 27, 2015
Author: Accident Advice