Developing skin cancer is a risk sunbed users take at their own peril. Getting burnt on a faulty sunbed, however, can and should be prevented.
Can you claim if you are burnt on a faulty sunbed?
Owners/operators of sunbeds have a duty of care towards you to prevent sunbed accidents. This involves ensuring:
- Sunbeds are kept well maintained and in safe working order
- Sessions are supervised to prevent accidental injuries and ensure help is at hand in case of mishaps
If the sunbed you are using is faulty, it could be emitting excessive UV radiation. This may not only cause you to get burnt on a faulty sunbed, it also increases your chance of developing skin cancer. A faulty sunbed could also collapse on top of you, trapping you and again causing potentially serious burn injuries. Lack of supervision could affect you in two ways:
- When you fall asleep on the sunbed, you could be left there for too long, again potentially causing injuries by burning
- If something unexpected should go wrong, your injuries could be made worse by help being delayed
If you were injured on a sunbed because it was faulty or because your session was not adequately supervised, you could qualify for personal injury compensation.
When to claim
A claim for compensation must be set into motion within three years:
- If you were burnt on a faulty sunbed or due to lack of supervision
- If you developed skin cancer due to excessive exposure to UV radiation because of a faulty sunbed or lack of supervision
Either way, you will require knowledgeable compensation advice and expert legal representation.
Accident Advice Helpline
We are a law firm specialising in personal injury claims. Our nationwide legal team has more than 16 years’ experience in securing compensation for people injured by faulty sunbeds and/or lack of supervision.
Operating under conditional fee agreements (better known as no-win, no-fee* claims), our in-house solicitors boast an impressive track record and can:
- Process most claims over the phone
- Bring your claim to a swift conclusion
- Often avoid claimants having to attend court
As claim circumstances vary, the latter cannot, however, be guaranteed. Due to these variations in claim circumstances, we can also not predict with precision:
- How long it will take to settle your claim
- How much compensation you will ultimately receive
To learn more and/or enlist our help, call 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from your UK landline or mobile now.
Date Published: April 18, 2017
Author: Accident Advice
Category: Burn injury claims