We’ve all had a mishap when doing some DIY around the home. The resultant injuries can vary in seriousness from nothing hurt but our pride to serious injuries requiring medical attention.
Slipping, tripping or falling from a step ladder
Falls from height such as falling from a step ladder can be extremely serious. When an object falls from height, the pull of the earth’s gravity causes an object to accelerate and hurtle towards the ground. As an object accelerates, its weight increases consequently increasing the severity of the impact with the ground. This increases the severity of the injuries that could be suffered as opposed to a slip, trip or fall on a flat surface.
Avoiding a fall from a step ladder
There are a number of ways that you can reduce the chances of falling from a step ladder.
- Before climbing the ladder, perform a short visual inspection, check all hinges and screws for damage as a damaged ladder could be dangerous.
- Ensure that the step ladder is placed on a stable, even surface to prevent the chances of the ladder collapsing.
- Wear appropriate footwear with adequate grip when standing on the ladder.
- Ensure that you use a stepladder that is appropriate for the height you wish to reach, do not use a stepladder that is too small, causing you to overreach and increase the chances of slipping, tripping or falling.
- If it is at all possible, ask someone to assist you by holding the stepladder steady.
Accident Advice Helpline and slip, trip and fall claims
Although we publish these handy guides to keep the public informed, we are first and foremost a law firm which helps our clients to pursue compensation for wrongs they have suffered. We have years of experience in all areas of personal injury compensation. If you’ve been injured as the result of a fall from a stepladder perhaps in the course of your work within the last three years and it wasn’t your fault, you could be entitled to claim compensation. Contact Accident Advice Helpline today for more information. Our lines are open 24/7 and are staffed by friendly, professional advisors waiting to take your call. All of our claims are made on a 100 per cent no-win no-fee** basis, meaning you won’t be out of pocket should your claim for compensation be unsuccessful.
Date Published: July 8, 2014
Author: Accident Advice