How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    3 steps to take after you get a burn

    If you get a burn as a result of an accident, there are some things you can do immediately to help limit the damage caused. Burns can be caused by fire, accidents with electricity or just around the house on things like hot stoves.

    What can I do if I get a burn?

    • Step one – assess the burn: The first thing to do after suffering a burn is to establish the severity of it. The most common type of burn is a first-degree burn and can be treated at home without medical assistance. If the pain is more intense and your skin appears blotchy with blisters, you may have suffered a second-degree burn. Unless you get a burn on your groin, hands, feet or face, you can treat second-degree burns like minor ones. The most serious type of burn is a third-degree burn. They are caused by prolonged exposure to very hot objects that burn through all three layers of skin. If you get a burn like this, it will look leathery and black or white in appearance.
    • Step two – treat the burn: If you are treating a minor burn, get it under cool water as soon as possible. Ideally, you should run cool water from a tap over the affected area for 10-15 minutes until the pain subsides. Try and avoid using cold water as this can damage the skin around the burn. The wounded area may swell, so remove any tight clothing or jewellery that might constrict it. This will also allow blood to flow to the area and begin the healing process.
    • Step three – Aftercare: If necessary, you can seek over-the-counter pain killers to help manage the pain and apply ointments and gauzes to the affected area. For second-degree burns that are in a sensitive area or bigger than three inches, it’s best to seek medical attention. You should also do this for any burn where the pain is too much to cope with. All third-degree burns require immediate medical examination and attention.

    Making a claim

    If you get a burn in an accident that wasn’t your fault, such as an accident at work, you may be due work injury compensation. Call Accident Advice Helpline to get your claim started today. Our lawyers work on a 100% no-win, no-fee* basis! Call 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from mobiles.

    Date Published: March 8, 2017

    Author: Accident Advice

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.