Home > Work accident > Work accident FAQ
worker collapsed in trench wearing hard hat

Accident at work FAQ

We spend around 8 hours at work every day and sometimes, we are involved in quite hazardous situations. Our solicitors are experts in helping individuals claim compensation for their injuries. Call us now on freephone 0800 083 5045.

Request a callback

Provide your details and a legal expert will be in touch shortly.

Request a callback

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Accident at Work Claims FAQ

We spend around 8 hours at work every day and sometimes, we are involved in quite hazardous situations. Our solicitors are experts in helping individuals claim compensation for their injuries. Call us now on freephone 0800 083 5045.

Frequently asked questions

Some jobs are riskier than others, however, all employers have a duty of care towards their employees and have to make sure they keep them safe. What are the frequently asked questions around work accidents?

Can my employer fire me for claiming compensation?

No. Your employer cannot fire you for claiming compensation for an accident you have had at work because they have a duty of care to ensure that the working environment is safe for all employees. If you have an accident at work and your employer was responsible in some way, your claim will be made against their insurance company. If your employer threatens to fire you or tries to terminate your employment after your compensation claim has been completed, contact us and we will help make sure you keep your job.

What are the most dangerous jobs in the UK?

According to the HSE, in 2018/19, the following industries were responsible for the most fatal injuries:

So it’s not animal tamer and stunt models who put their lives at risk, but builders, construction workers, farmers and factory workers. But take into account that this statistic counts the actual number of deaths but does not put it into relation to how many people work in each industry. Taken relative numbers of workers into account, “agriculture, forestry and fishing” and “waste and recycling” are the most dangerous industries to work in.

Can I claim compensation if I am not a British citizen?

Yes, if you are employed by a British company, whether you are an agency worker or a migrant worker, and have been injured at work due to someone else’s negligence, you can claim compensation. See Agency and Migrant Worker Claims for more information.

What is the most common injury type?

When can I make a personal injury claim?

If your injury is a result of someone else’s negligence, you may have the right to make a claim for compensation. Even if you are not sure who is responsible for your injury or if you are partly at fault yourself, contact us to establish your full legal position.

What makes my claim successful?

Often, the cause of the accident can easily be established. However, we might need some evidence to help you with your claim. We will assist you in gathering the evidence you need.

Can I still claim compensation if I my accident occurred while working abroad?

Yes. Your employer has a duty of care to ensure that your working environment and equipment is safe to keep you from harm. If your employer has failed in its duty of care and you are injured as a result, you may have the right to claim compensation, even if the accident happened when working abroad.

How much time do I have to claim?

In most cases, you claim must be brought within three years from the date of your personal injury. However, there are exceptions, for example:

  • If you were working abroad when the accident took place, different time limits may apply in different countries
  • If you or your loved one have diminished mental capacity
  • If your loved one was a child under 16 in Scotland or under 18 in England and Wales at the time of the accident

We would advise you to speak to an expert accident solicitor as soon as you feel able. Your legal representative can help you to keep track of your timeline.

What can I claim compensation for?

What you can claim compensation for is divided into two categories.

  • General damages: a sum that will be paid to compensate you for the pain and suffering you had to endure. The sum you receive is contingent on how big an impact the accident and the resulting injuries have on your life.
  • Special damages: any proven past or future costs which result from your accident. They can include medical bills, the cost of rehabilitation, travel expenditure, loss of earnings and the cost of personal belongings.

No Win No Fee

Only pay a fee, if you receive compensation

98% of our road traffic accident cases are conducted on a No Win No Fee basis, meaning we only take a fee if we win compensation on your behalf, therefore there is no financial risk to you.

Read more