Home > Work accident > Employer's responsibility to prevent machinery accidents
worker collapsed in trench wearing hard hat

Employer's responsibility to prevent machinery accidents

Your employer's responsibility to prevent you from having machinery accidents is based on law. If your employer caused your injury you may be able to claim

Request a callback

Provide your details and a legal expert will be in touch shortly.

Request a callback

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Your employer's responsibility to prevent you from having machinery accidents

Employers in the UK have many responsibilities. They have what is called a 'duty of care' to their employees and to anyone else that may be affected by their work activity. This was introduced to try to reduce the number of workplace accidents.

All workplaces have some sort of hazards in them. Workplaces that contain machinery can be especially hazardous. Machines are often big, heavy and fast moving. This makes them very hazardous to the human body. The key to preventing machinery accidents is risk assessment.

Fast-moving and sharp parts should usually be guarded but, of course, guards can break. If this happens it is the employer's responsibility to replace it. Some machines can only be used safely if the operator is using personal protective equipment. This is things like gloves, goggles and ear defenders. If this has not been provided, then it may be possible to show that the employer has not done all that they can to prevent accidents.

Training is at the heart of most accident prevention. A well trained work force is much safer than a workforce that does not understand how to work safely. You should receive appropriate training for your job and this needs to be refreshed often. If you were asked to use a machine, but you were not offered training on how to use it safely, you may be able to claim for your injuries if you were hurt.

A specialist personal injury lawyer will be able to look at your case and put together the evidence that you need for a successful claim.

Claiming after machine accidents with Accident Advice Helpline

If your accident was within the last three years and you received medical attention for your injuries, you may be able to start a personal injury claim. You can only claim from your employer if the accident was their fault. In practice, most employers have an insurance policy which will pay this type of claim. All you have to do is call us on 0800 083 5045from a land line or on phone to find out more.

No Win No Fee

Only pay a fee, if you receive compensation

98% of our road traffic accident cases are conducted on a No Win No Fee basis, meaning we only take a fee if we win compensation on your behalf, therefore there is no financial risk to you.

Read more