Did you know that slips, trips and falls are one of the most common types of accidents in the UK? Every year, thousands of people of all ages are injured in slips, trips and falls at work or in a public place, and the injuries sustained in this type of accident can be pretty nasty. We have handled thousands of claims for compensation after a trip or fall, so if you have been injured and you think that somebody else is to blame, we encourage you to get in touch with us after your accident to see if you are eligible to claim personal injury compensation.

What are the criteria for claiming for slips, trips and falls?

As with any personal injury claim, you will have to prove that your accident was somebody else’s fault. Don’t worry if you don’t have any evidence though, as this is why you need a personal injury lawyer. It’s our job to gather evidence in support of your claim if somebody else caused your accident. You must have been injured in the last three years, as there is a three-year time limit in place to make a personal injury claim, and we can normally only help you if you sought medical attention for your injuries.

This is why it is well worth going to see your GP even if you have suffered a minor injury such as whiplash, as we will need to see a copy of your medical report as part of your claim.

Who is to blame for your accident?

Slips, trips and falls could happen anywhere, at any time – for example you could slip on a wet floor in a supermarket or trip on uneven carpet in the office at work. Who is to blame for your accident all depends on where your accident happened. For example, if you trip on uneven pavement in public, the local council could be held responsible for your accident, as it’s their job to maintain pavements to a safe standard. They have public liability insurance in place which will pay out if your claim is successful. In fact, most accidents in public places will be covered by public liability insurance.

What about slips, trips and falls at work? Well, if you have tripped over trailing cables or slipped on a spillage that should have been cleaned up, it could be that your employer was negligent. There’s no need to worry about leaving your employer out of pocket though. By law most employers should have liability insurance in place which will pay out in the event of a claim by a member of staff. So if you’ve been injured, making a claim won’t put your employer out of business, even if you work for a small family company.

What kind of injuries could slips, trips and falls cause?

It’s tempting to write off slips, trips and falls as minor accidents leading to injuries that are not too serious. Whilst this is often the case, it is possible to sustain more serious injuries in a slip, trip or fall, and fatalities also sometimes happen. Since 2000, Accident Advice Helpline has helped thousands of people to claim compensation for slips, trips and falls and during that time these are some of the most common injuries we have come across:

  • Head injuries including concussion, fractured skull or a brain injury
  • Broken bones – most commonly the ankle or wrist
  • Strains and sprains including ligament, tendon and muscle injuries
  • Facial injuries including eye injuries and knocking teeth out
  • Back and spinal injuries
  • Whiplash
  • Lacerations, for example if you slip in a bar and land on broken glass

As you can see, some of these injuries are more serious than others. For example a brain injury can lead to changes in your personality that affect the rest of your life. You may suffer from mood swings or uncontrollable behaviour, be unable to work or even unable to care for yourself without assistance. This type of injury can be life changing not only for the victim but for their whole family, who can be affected emotionally and financially.

Accident Advice Helpline could help you claim compensation if a family member has sustained injuries that have impacted their quality of life. Equally, if you have suffered minor injuries such as whiplash or a broken ankle, we could still help you to claim compensation if your accident was caused by somebody else.

How long did you take off work?

When you decide to make a claim for personal injury compensation, this is something we will take into consideration. With slips, trips and falls, you may need to take time off work to recover from your injuries, particularly if your injuries affect your mobility or you are in pain. For example if you have broken your ankle, you may need up to a couple of months off work, depending on your job.

During this time, you may be eligible to receive statutory sick pay, but this is normally only a fraction of your usual salary. This can affect your finances and make it difficult to cope financially in the aftermath of your accident, which is a stress you don’t need, particularly if you have suffered serious injuries.

Can you claim compensation for loss of earnings?

For slips, trips and falls which lead to serious injuries, longer periods of time may need to be taken off work to recover. This may mean you’re no longer eligible for statutory sick pay and you could be left wondering how you are going to pay your rent, mortgage or other household bills. When we look at your claim for personal injury compensation, we will take into account any loss of earnings you have suffered.

So if you are struggling financially or will be unable to return to work for six months, you could be compensated for past, current and future lost wages. If you are self-employed, this may still be possible, and the best way to find out is to speak to one of our expert personal injury advisors.

What if your child has been injured at school or nursery?

As we mentioned above, it is possible to make a personal injury claim if a family member has been injured in an accident. So what about if your child has suffered injuries after an accident at nursery or school? When we drop our kids off at school or nursery, we expect them to be safe in the hands of qualified, experienced members of staff. Unfortunately, accidents can and do happen, and slips, trips and falls are amongst the most common types of accidents to occur in educational establishments.

Perhaps your child fell from a faulty climbing frame in the playground and suffered facial injuries, or maybe they collided with another child and sustained a nasty concussion. They may even have broken their ankle after slipping on a wet floor at school. If school staff were negligent, you could make a claim for compensation on behalf of your child, and they could be compensated for their pain and suffering. You could also receive compensation for your own loss of earnings, if you need to take time off work to care for your child.

How much compensation could you claim for slips, trips and falls?

It’s really hard to say how much compensation you could claim for slips, trips and falls, because every accident is different. Two people who have sustained a back injury after slipping on a wet floor could each receive very different personal injury settlements, depending on a range of other factors such as loss of earnings, time taken off work and so on. Generally speaking, the more severe your injuries, the higher your personal injury settlement is likely to be, but there are always exceptions. When we process your injury claim, we will take into account a number of different factors such as:

  • The severity of your injuries and your recovery time
  • What treatment you have needed
  • How much time you have taken or will need off work
  • Any financial losses you have suffered after your accident
  • Any long-term impact your injuries have had – for example a child with a brain injury may suffer from developmental and cognitive difficulties in future that will impact the rest of their life

This allows us to work out your personal injury settlement on an individual basis. However, we understand that not everybody wants to wait until a claim is settled to find out how much compensation they could receive. That’s why we developed our 30-second test, which will give you an idea of how much you could get if your claim is successful – just remember that this figure is only a rough guide and not set in stone.

Why should you choose Accident Advice Helpline?

When it comes to claims for slips, trips and falls, Accident Advice Helpline has over 16 years’ experience. We have a team of specialist personal injury lawyers and we cover the whole of the UK. We will always have a lawyer with experience handling claims for your type of accident available. Because slips and trips are amongst the most common types of accidents we handle claims for, we have a great track record of success and if we take on your claim, it is because we are confident that we can get you the compensation you are entitled to after your accident.

Whether you have suffered minor bruises or broken bones, or a serious head injury, we are here to help. Our lawyers provide a 100% no-win, no-fee* service, so even those struggling financially after an accident can make a claim with us. If you are considering pursuing compensation you won’t have to pay a penny upfront in legal fees.

What should you do next?

We always recommend that anybody considering making a personal injury claim uses our 30-second test to get an idea of how much compensation they may be entitled to. This could help you to decide whether or not you wish to proceed with a claim after your accident. However, you don’t need to decide just yet – remember that you can call us for no-obligation advice at any time, provided it has been three years or less since your accident happened.

You can call our helpline on 0800 689 0500  from a landline or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile and ask us any questions you have about the claims process or just discuss your accident with us in more detail and get advice from our expert advisors. If you do decide to proceed with a claim, there are no upfront fees to pay thanks to our 100% no-win, no-fee* service, and we can start gathering evidence in support of your claim as soon as possible.

Although claims can take some time to process, the majority can be dealt with in full over the phone, so it is very unlikely you will need to go to court, giving you one less thing to worry about.