Home > Accident in public > Suffering an accident on a public footpath
yellow caution wet floor sign next to flight of stairs

Suffering an accident on a public footpath

No matter the kind of accident on a public footpath you experienced, if you weren't at fault, you could claim, but how exactly do you claim?

Request a callback

Provide your details and a legal expert will be in touch shortly.

Request a callback

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Suffering an accident on a public footpath

If you’ve been injured after suffering a slip, trip or fall in a public place or you’ve had an accident on a public footpath, you may be able to claim compensation. If you have proof that you were not to blame for your injuries and the incident occurred within the last three years, call Accident Advice Helpline today.

Who is liable for an accident on a public footpath?

If you’ve had a slip or trip on any other accident on a public footpath, you may have a case for public liability compensation, provided that you were not to blame for your injuries.

No matter the kind of accident on a public footpath you experienced, if you weren’t at fault, you could claim. Examples of incidents, which may qualify for a compensation payout include:

  • tripping on poorly-maintained pathways and broken steps
  • injuries caused by falling over or into unmarked manholes
  • slipping on wet floors, which were not clearly marked
  • slipping on wet leaves, which should have been cleared up
  • injuries caused by falling roof tiles
  • falling over obstructions in doorways or stairwells
  • falling over uneven paving

If you slip, trip or fall or have any other accident on a public footpath, and you believe that your injuries were caused by negligence on behalf of the council, you have the right to pursue a compensation claim against the local authority.

What should I do next?

If you’ve had an accident in a public place, seek medical advice and get any injuries checked over. Write down your version of events; it’’s best to do this as quickly as possible, so that the details are fresh in your mind.

Report the incident to the council or the business owner if you have had an accident in a shop or bar, for example. Ask anyone else who saw the accident to provide their contact details, so that they can offer a written statement to support your case.

When you are ready to start the process of making a public place accident claim, call Accident Advice helpline. If you have a good case for public liability compensation, our personal injury lawyers will use the evidence to support your claim and hopefully secure the compensation you deserve.

We work on a no win no fee basis and in most cases, our clients don't go to court. We carry out most consultations over the telephone and we aim to process your claim with minimal stress and hassle.

To find out more, give us a call today on 0800 083 5045.

No Win No Fee

Only pay a fee, if you receive compensation

98% of our road traffic accident cases are conducted on a No Win No Fee basis, meaning we only take a fee if we win compensation on your behalf, therefore there is no financial risk to you.

Read more