Home > Accident in public > Leisure Activities Injury Claims Solicitors FAQ
yellow caution wet floor sign next to flight of stairs

Leisure activities FAQ

There are various hobbies, that can cause a leisure accident. Our solicitors are experts in helping individuals claim compensation for their injuries. Call us now on freephone 0800 083 5045

Request a callback

Provide your details and a legal expert will be in touch shortly.

Request a callback

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Common accidents involving leisure activities

Accidents can happen anywhere: at home, while shopping, in a sports club or in a restaurant. What are the frequently asked questions around accidents involving leisure activities?

What are the most common accidents involving leisure activities?

Most of us enjoy activities, such as eating out in restaurants, spending time with friends and families and shopping, without any incident occurring. However, accidents can occur anywhere, doing anything. When an accident does occur, and someone else is at fault, you may be entitled to claim compensation.

We often help clients with the following accidents:

Can my sports instructor be held responsible for my sports injury?

If a sports instructor provided you with inaccurate or incomplete constructions, they can be held responsible for an injury. For example, we often help people with skiing accidents.

Can someone be held responsible for an accident outdoors?

It completely depends on the place and circumstances of the accident. A few examples:

  • Slip, trip or fall during hiking in a national park
    • The national park can usually not be held responsible for the accident. It is in your responsibility to wear and carry the right equipment and to know your limits.
  • Slip, trip or fall while strolling through a park of the national trust
    • If you were on a designated path and tripped because of the condition of the path, you might be able to claim compensation from the National Trust, e.g. when the path was not maintained.
    • However, if you were not on a path at the time of the accident, it will be more difficult to claim compensation.
  • Accidents on a public road
    • If you have been involved in an accident as a pedestrian, you might be able to claim compensation from the local council or the person liable for your accident.

Contact us to establish your full legal position.

What should I do after an accident in a leisure centre?

If your accident happened due to someone else's negligence, it is important that you can prove so. As soon as you are able to, try to do the following:

  • Seek medical attention
  • Take photographs of the site before it's been cleared.
  • Ask staff to record the incident
  • Ask witnesses for their contact details
  • Pay attention to CCTV cameras, that may have recorded your accident
  • Write a record of the accident yourself
  • Contact us for free legal advice and to establish your full legal position.

When can I make a personal injury claim?

If your injury is a result of someone else's negligence, you may have the right to make a claim for compensation. Even if you are not sure who is responsible for your injury or if you are partly at fault yourself, contact us to establish your full legal position.

What makes my claim successful?

Often, the cause of the accident can easily be established. However, we might need some evidence to help you with your claim. We will assist you in gathering the evidence you need.

How much time do I have to claim?

Generally, your claim has to be brought within three years from the date of your personal injury. However, there are exceptions, for example:

  • If you were abroad when the accident took place different time limits may apply
  • If you or your loved one have been left with diminished mental capacity
  • If your loved one was a child under 16 in Scotland or under 18 in England and Wales at the time of the accident

We would like to advise you to speak to an expert solicitor as soon as you feel able. Your legal representative can help you to keep track of your timeline.

What can I claim compensation for?

Compensation is divided into two categories:

  • General damages: this is the sum that will be paid to compensate you for the pain and suffering you had to endure. The sum you receive depends on how big an impact the accident and the resulting injuries have on your life.
  • Special damages: this is to cover any proven past or future costs which result from your accident. They can include medical bills, the cost of rehabilitation, travel expenditure, loss of earnings and the cost of personal belongings.

No Win No Fee

Only pay a fee, if you receive compensation

98% of our road traffic accident cases are conducted on a No Win No Fee basis, meaning we only take a fee if we win compensation on your behalf, therefore there is no financial risk to you.

Read more