According to the Food Standard Agency (FSA), an estimated 2 million people across the UK are living with a diagnosed food allergy and 600 000 with a coeliac disease, which is gluten intolerance.*
Our food poisoning and allergies claims solicitors are here to help you claim the compensation you deserve. If you have been ill due to food poisoning or suffered an allergic reaction, contact us today for free legal advice from our expert solicitors.
No Win No Fee food poisoning and allergies claim solicitors
Most of our food poisoning and allergies cases are conducted on a No Win No Fee basis, meaning we only take a fee if we win compensation on your behalf, therefore there is no financial risk to you.
Food allergies explained
Unfortunately, many of us suffer from intolerances towards certain foods, such as:
Most people with intolerances pay close attention to the labels and inform restaurant staff of any allergies they have. If the information you receive is incorrect and you have an allergic reaction which causes you injury, you may be able to claim compensation.
Food poisoning explained
The Consumer Protection Act 1987 should guarantee you that all the food you buy is safe to eat and there are several laws and legislations that need to be followed to fulfil food hygiene standards. If food hygiene standards are not met, food poisoning of the consumer is a common consequence and a criminal offence.
Most common causes of food allergies and food poisoning
Common causes of food poisoning and food allergies include:
- Waiter failed to pass on your dietary requests
- Kitchen staff failed to follow your dietary requests
- Food contained products that weren’t listed
- Food hygiene standards have not been met during preparation
- Food wasn’t cooked long enough
- Food wasn’t stored properly, e.g. in a refrigerator, freezer or closed container
- Food was stored close to infected products
- Food hygiene standards have not been met during production or packaging
We often help clients with the following illnesses and allergic reactions:
- Allergic reactions:
- Digestive problems
- Rashes and other skin conditions
- Infection and damage of inner organs
What can I claim for?
If you or a loved one has experienced food poisoning or an allergic reaction, you can claim for the following:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of earnings
- Rehabilitation and treatment
Who is to blame for my food poisoning?
If the food was not safe and made you ill, you usually don’t have to prove negligence for a successful food poisoning claim. If you can establish one of the following, the law imposes a liability rule on the restaurant, shop or supplier:
- source of the food poisoning
- source of the infection
- source of the allergic reaction
How do I prove my food poisoning?
If you suspect food poisoning or an allergic reaction, try to gather evidence as early as possible:
- Seek medical assistance.
- Write a list of everything you ate in the previous 24 hours.
- If you still have some of the suspected food, keep it in its packaging, seal it in a plastic bag and try to preserve it, e.g. in the freezer.
- Keep receipts from restaurants, take-aways or supermarkets.
- Check, if others who ate the same food or at the same place have similar symptoms.
- If possible, collect names and contact details of witnesses.
- Inform your local Environmental Health Department
Contact us, to establish your full legal position and to help you gather the evidence you need for a successful claim.
Can I claim on behalf of a loved one?
Losing a loved one is one of the worst things that can happen and we want you to take time to grieve. However, if this loss has left you in a difficult financial position, seeking rightful compensation may be a necessity and if the accident was caused due to someone else’s action, you may want to consider claiming for compensation.
We have the understanding and the experience to handle any claim with the utmost sensitivity. If someone else’s actions or negligence were even partly to blame for your loss, please get in touch with us once you feel comfortable to do so.
How much can I claim for a food poisoning or allergy claim?
It completely depends on your injury or illness and the impact it has on your life. If the injury was caused due to someone else’s negligence, your claim for pain and suffering could be worth several thousands of pounds. For more information call us on freephone 0800 083 5045 or try our online claims calculator.