Home > Accident in public > First aid for slips and trips
yellow caution wet floor sign next to flight of stairs

First aid for slips and trips

Did you know that slips and trips are the most common cause of injury in the workplace, according to figures from the HSE? But they also happen in public places, and knowing first aid for slips and trips could mean the difference between life and death. Call 0800 689 5659 for free advice on your injury claim.

Request a callback

Provide your details and a legal expert will be in touch shortly.

Request a callback

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

What to do after an accident

If you happen upon somebody who has been injured, or you're involved in an accident and need to provide first aid for slips and trips, here are a few things to remember:

  • You should call 999 and wait for assistance, which could take some time to come
  • In the meantime you can try to stem blood flow from wounds by using cloth or tissue and applying pressure to the wound
  • You may need to use CPR if the person has lost consciousness and is not breathing
  • Bear in mind that the person may have suffered a spinal/neck fracture or injury - if you even suspect that this is the case then do not move them. Instead keep them still and call an ambulance

These tips could quite literally save somebody's life, and it's important to stay calm after witnessing an accident or being first on the scene.

Who's to blame for your accident?

It might be that you've been injured after a trip or slip at work, or perhaps your accident has happened in a public place such as at a leisure centre or whilst walking down the high street. Wherever your accident happened, somebody else could be held responsible if their negligence caused your accident. For example if you trip on damaged pavement, your local council could be responsible for your injuries. If you slip on a wet floor at work - where no warning signs were displayed - your employer could be held liable after your accident. First aid for slips and trips should be available from a designated first aider at your workplace, and if this hasn't happened, your employer could be deemed to be negligent.

Why you might need first aid for slips and trips

The types of injuries sustained in slips and trips can range from minor to serious, and here are just a few of the different injuries Accident Advice Helpline has handled claims for since 2000:

  • Cuts and bruises
  • Broken bones
  • Crush injuries (if something falls on you)
  • Head injuries
  • Facial injuries
  • Strains and sprains

Some of these injuries are obviously far more serious than others - for example if you have suffered a head injury you may need to take time off work and undergo treatment in hospital. Did you know that falls are responsible for over 35% of all traumatic brain injuries ? So if you slip or trip and fall (for example from height or down a flight of stairs), you could sustain a life-changing injury. By far the most common injuries sustained are grazing and bruises, for which treatment can usually be given at home.

Treating your slip and trip injuries

First aid for slips and trips can help to minimise pain and speed up healing. Over-the-counter painkillers such as paracetamol and ibuprofen can help to relieve pain from strains, sprains, cuts and bruises, whilst ice can help to decrease swelling and bruising. If you have suffered a graze or laceration, cleaning the wound and covering it with a clean plaster or dressing is essential. For more serious injuries, first aid for slips and trips may not be enough and you may need to see your GP for treatment or even go to Accident and Emergency.

How common are slip and trip accidents?

You may be surprised at just how common these type of accidents are. In fact according to statistics from the HSE, slips and trips account for over one-third of all major injuries at work , and cost employers over £512 million a year. It's no laughing matter for employers as this leads to

over 95 million lost work days per year. In fact

28% of all workplace fatalities are caused by slips, trips and falls. You could just as easily be injured by slipping in an icy supermarket car park as you could be tripping on damaged flooring at work - and in both these scenarios, somebody else would be liable for your injuries. Accident Advice Helpline has over 16 years' experience helping people claim compensation after a slip or trip, and whether or not you have received first aid for slips and trips, you could be eligible to make a

no win no fee claim.

How much compensation could you get?

Whilst the amount of compensation you can get for a personal injury claim varies depending on a variety of different things, there is a quick and easy way to find out how much you could be entitled to receive after your accident. You can take the 30-second testTM here on our website to find out how much you could get if your claim is successful. There's a three-year time limit in place to claim compensation after any accident, but it is a good idea to get in touch with us as soon as possible after your accident, to see if you have a viable claim. You could be entitled to compensation not only for your injuries but also for any loss of earnings you have suffered due to time off work after your accident.

So if you have broken your ankle after a slipping accident at work and you have taken a few weeks or months off to recover, you could be entitled to compensation for your lost wages. Why not get in touch with Accident Advice Helpline today to find out if you could make a claim on 0800 083 5045. Our expert advisors are on hand offering confidential, no-obligation advice that can help you decide whether or not to proceed with a claim.

No Win No Fee

Only pay a fee, if you receive compensation

98% of our road traffic accident cases are conducted on a No Win No Fee basis, meaning we only take a fee if we win compensation on your behalf, therefore there is no financial risk to you.

Read more