Home > Accident in public > Animal Injury and Accidents Claims Solicitors FAQ
yellow caution wet floor sign next to flight of stairs

Animal injuries FAQ

Our solicitors are experts in helping individuals claim compensation for their injuries following an accident involving an animal. Call us now on freephone 0800 083 5045

Request a callback

Provide your details and a legal expert will be in touch shortly.

Request a callback

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Animal Injury and Accidents Claims Solicitors FAQ

Have you been injured by an animal? Our solicitors are experts in helping individuals claim compensation for their injuries.

Animal injuries FAQ

Our solicitors are experts in helping individuals claim compensation for their injuries following an accident involving an animal. Call us now on freephone 0800 083 5045.

Common accidents involving animals

The UK has a long history of horse riding, sheep farming and dog petting. In fact, according to Blue Cross For Pets every fourth household in the UK has at least one dog. What are the frequently asked questions around accidents involving animals?

My child was playing in the park when he was attacked by a dog who was not on a lead. Can we claim compensation?

If your child has been injured as a result of a dog attack, you may have the right to claim compensation on their behalf. If the attack was by a stray dog it can be more difficult. However, the local authority responsible for the park may be at fault. Whatever the circumstances surrounding the attack, you should speak to one of our friendly advisers who will confirm your full legal position. See dog bite injury claim for more information.

My dog was attacked by another dog. Can I claim compensation for his injuries?

Unfortunately, we focus heavily on claims that involve a personal injury on humans. If, for example, you tried to protect your dog while it was being attacked and have been injured during that act, you may be able to claim compensation for your injury and personal damages, which could include the treatment costs of your dog as well.

If the other dog was aggressive and the attack was due to the negligence of the dog owner, you can take the dog owner to court to claim back veterinary bills.

I was riding my horse when a car driving too close clipped my horse and I fell off. Luckily my horse was okay but I've suffered an injury. Can I claim compensation?

If you can prove the cause of the accident, you might be able to make a hit and run claim. Try to get witness statements and personal details of anyone who might have seen the accident. See hit and run claim for more information.

I visited a farm and was kicked by a cow. Who is responsible for my accident?

Farmer's have a duty of care to keep their employees and visitors safe. If your accident was caused due to a lack of safety precautions, you may be able to claim compensation. See farm, agricultural and livestock injury claims for more information.

Another common example is a children's zoo, where children can pet the animals: if your child suffered an injury due to a lack of safety precautions or dangerous animals, the zoo may be held liable for your child's injuries.

What should I do after an animal injury?

If your accident happened due to someone else's negligence, it is important that you can prove so. Immediately after an accident, try to do the following:

  • Seek medical attention. You might need a tetanus shot after an animal injury.
  • Take photographs of the site before it's been cleared
  • Ask witnesses for their contact details
  • Pay attention to CCTV cameras, that may have recorded your accident
  • Write a record of the accident yourself
  • Contact us for free legal advice and to establish your full legal position

When can I make a personal injury claim?

If your injury is a result of someone else's negligence, you may have the right to make a claim for compensation. Even if you're not sure who is responsible for your injury or if you are partly at fault yourself, contact us to establish your full legal position.

What makes my claim successful?

Often, the cause of the accident can easily be established. However, we might need some evidence to help you with your claim. We will assist you in gathering the evidence you need.

How much time do I have to claim?

Generally, your claim has to be brought within three years from the date you were injured. However, there are exceptions, for example:

  • If you were abroad when the accident took place, different time limits may apply in different countries
  • If you or your loved one have diminished mental capacity
  • If your loved one was a child under 16 in Scotland or under 18 in England and Wales at the time of the accident

We would therefore advise you to speak to an expert solicitor as soon as you feel comfortable. Your legal representative can help you to keep track of your timeline.

What can I claim compensation for?

The compensation you can receive is split into two categories.

  • General damages: this is the sum that will be paid to compensate you for the pain and suffering you had to endure. The sum you receive depends on how big an impact the accident and the resulting injuries have on your life.
  • Special damages: this is the sum that reflects any proven past or future costs which result from your accident. They can include medical bills, the cost of rehabilitation, travel expenditure, loss of earnings and the cost of personal belongings.

No Win No Fee

Only pay a fee, if you receive compensation

98% of our road traffic accident cases are conducted on a No Win No Fee basis, meaning we only take a fee if we win compensation on your behalf, therefore there is no financial risk to you.

Read more