Why motorcycle accidents happen and how injuries can be prevented
Many motorcycle accidents happen without a collision, after a motorcyclist has failed to slow down in time for a turn or has lost control. Other types of motorcycle accidents occur after a collision with another vehicle at a junction or when overtaking or changing lanes.
There are many ways to prevent serious injuries from happening, such as:
- Motorcyclists wearing a suitable helmet and protective clothing
- Motorcyclists wearing bright, visible clothing (for the day and night)
- Motorcyclists ensuring that they are aware of other road users and maintain a safe speed
- Motorcyclists taking care not to undertake vehicles, especially at junctions.
- Other drivers to ensure they look properly for motorcyclists at junctions, roundabouts and when changing lanes.
- Other drivers to keep a safe distance from motorcyclists in front of them on the road.
A breakdown of motorcycle accidents per year including fatalities and injuries from 2011 to 2015:
- 362 motorcycle deaths
- 5247 serious motorcycle injuries
- 20,150 total motorcycle injuries
2013 and 2014
- 339 motorcycle deaths in 2014 (2.4% increase from 2013)
- 5558 serious motorcycle accidents and 5289 serious injuries in 2014 (an 8.7% increase from 2013)
- 365 motorcycle deaths
- 5042 serious motorcycle injuries
- 14,511 less serious motorcycle injuries
Advice from the experts
There are thousands of motorcycle accidents per year, and if you want to know what your next steps are after suffering injuries from an accident which you were not to blame for, call our helpline. Accident Advice Helpline is here to help you find out whether your accident could result in a large compensation payout.
Get the justice and compensation you deserve. Call our team today on 0800 083 5045to hear about the services we offer.
No Win No Fee
Only pay a fee, if you receive compensation
98% of our road traffic accident cases are conducted on a No Win No Fee basis, meaning we only take a fee if we win compensation on your behalf, therefore there is no financial risk to you.Read more
Great - Trustscore 4.7/5 based on 733 reviews