Call us on: 0800 083 5045
Home > Road traffic accident > Car accident, no MOT, am I still covered?
Woman in red cardigan on the phone reporting a car crash

Car accident, no MOT, am I still covered?

By law all vehicles that are three years old or more must have a valid MOT certificate. Your MOT certificate certifies that the vehicle is roadworthy and safe to drive. What happens if you have a car accident and you have no MOT? The UK’s largest personal injury specialist law firm looks at your options.

Do I have a claim?

Great - Trustscore 4.7/5 based on 733 reviews

Talk to us today on 0800 083 5045

Or you can request a call back by providing your details below, and we will call you back today.

Request a callback

Do I have a claim?

  1. Did the accident happen within the last two years?
  2. Did you suffer an injury as a result?
  3. Is someone else either fully or partly to blame?
Talk to us

If the answer to all these questions is yes, you may have the right to compensation.

Complete our online form or contact our legal experts for advice today.

Car accident, no MOT, am I still covered?

By law all vehicles that are three years old or more must have a valid MOT certificate. Your MOT certificate is issued after your vehicle goes through a number of checks carried out by a qualified technician at a garage of your choice, and it certifies that the vehicle is roadworthy and safe to drive. You need an MOT certificate to insure your vehicle, but what happens if you are involved in a car accident and your MOT certificate has expired? It doesn’t necessarily mean that your insurance is invalid, as most insurers don’t mention the MOT certificate in your policy terms and conditions. But if your vehicle has sustained a significant amount of damage in an accident and you want to make a claim through your insurance company, they may ask to see a copy of your MOT certificate.

If you’ve been injured in an accident that wasn’t your fault, you should still be able to claim compensation for your injuries and damage to your vehicle even if you don’t have a valid MOT certificate, but bear in mind that for accidents where somebody is injured, the police will be involved. They may prosecute you for failure to hold a valid MOT certificate – however, they will also establish who is to blame for the accident, which means you can make a personal injury claim for compensation if the other party is at fault. You could also face a £1,000 fine if you are caught driving without a current MOT certificate.

How did your car accident happen?

A study of over 700,000 crashes in the UK between 2003 and 2009 revealed that driver error or reaction is the leading cause of accidents – in fact police list this as a factor in over 65% of fatal accidents on the UK’s roads. Other common causes of accidents include poor roadway maintenance and equipment failure. Over 95% of road traffic accidents in Europe are caused by driver behaviour in combination with one of these other factors.

Mobile phone usage is also a leading cause of car accidents – a survey by the RAC revealed that almost one-third of drivers admitted to using their mobile phone behind the wheel. Police believe that mobile phones account for more accidents than official records currently show.

Your accident could be caused by another driver’s negligence – for example if they are speeding during wet or wintry road conditions, stopping distances will be increased and a rear-end collision could happen if they are driving too close to your vehicle. Stopping distances can be doubled on wet roads and multiplied by ten in icy conditions or when it is snowing, which could increase your risk of being injured in a car accident.

Establishing who is at fault for your car accident

It’s important to establish who is to blame for your accident, and if the police are involved due to your injuries, they will normally work out who is at fault. If the other party is responsible for your accident, you could be entitled to claim personal injury compensation, provided it has been three years or less since your accident happened. With Accident Advice Helpline you won’t normally have to go to court to make a personal injury claim, although if the other party denies liability after your car accident or tries to use the fact you don’t have a valid MOT certificate against you then this may be necessary.

Common car accident injuries

A car accident has the potential to cause injuries ranging from minor to serious, and as well as physical injuries you could suffer emotional distress after your accident that could lead to the development of anxiety and depression, particularly if you have sustained life-changing injuries. Accident Advice Helpline has been helping people claim compensation since 2000 and here are some of the most common car accident injuries we have handled claims for, on a No Win No Fee basis:

  • Whiplash
  • Back injuries
  • Cuts and bruises
  • Head injuries such as concussion or a brain injury
  • Facial injuries such as lacerations or a fractured cheekbone
  • Eye injuries
  • Loss of limbs
  • Crush injuries such as broken ribs
  • Broken bones
  • Strains and sprains
  • Lacerations
  • Burns (if your vehicle catches fire after a collision)

You may suffer from panic attacks or post-traumatic stress disorder after a car accident which could make it difficult for you to live your life to the full or get back behind the wheel. If this is something that has affected you then you could be eligible to claim compensation for emotional distress as well as for your physical injuries. You could also be entitled to compensation for lost earnings if you have taken time off work for treatment and to recover after your accident.

Should you claim personal injury compensation after your car accident?

If another driver caused your accident, whether they were distracted at the wheel, speeding or driving a vehicle that wasn’t roadworthy, you are entitled to claim personal injury compensation. Nobody is going to judge you for claiming the compensation you deserve, and if you have sustained life-changing injuries, a personal injury settlement could be the first step towards getting your life back on track after your accident. Even if you have suffered minor injuries a personal injury settlement can help to cover your bills and rent or mortgage payments whilst you focus on the important thing – recovering from your injuries and getting the treatment you need.

You could find out right now how much compensation you could be entitled to by taking the 30-second test™ on our own website, then give us a call on 0800 083 5045 to see if you have a viable claim. With over 16 years’ industry experience, you know that your personal injury claim is in the very best hands. Our personal injury advisors are on hand offering confidential advice, and there is no obligation to go ahead with a claim at any point. Should you decide to proceed, you’ll find our lawyers provide a No Win No Fee service.

No Win No Fee

Only pay a fee, if you receive compensation

98% of our road traffic accident cases are conducted on a No Win No Fee basis, meaning we only take a fee if we win compensation on your behalf, therefore there is no financial risk to you.

Read more

Great - Trustscore 4.7/5 based on 733 reviews

Are you ready to start your claim? Call us free on 0800 083 5045 or Request a call back