Home > Road traffic accident > How to claim for an accident involving a stolen car
road surface with newly painted white lines

How to claim for an accident involving a stolen car

Accident involving a stolen car how to claim compensation - you could make that claim for compensation even if the driver cannot be located.

Request a callback

Provide your details and a legal expert will be in touch shortly.

Request a callback

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

How to claim compensation for an accident involving a stolen car

“Hit and run” is a term used in the UK to describe a type of road traffic accident in which the driver who causes the accident leaves the scene without stopping to provide their contact and insurance details. With an accident involving a stolen car, it is likely that the driver will simply not stop. In these cases, how would you make a claim at all?

Deliberate or not?

It is a criminal offence in the UK to leave the scene of a road traffic accident without providing your contact and insurance details. The most common types of hit and run accidents involve car drivers who wish to make a quick exit unnoticed. However, the majority of hit and run accidents are not caused intentionally. Instead, a motorist who is uninsured or wishes to escape criminal prosecution for dangerous or careless driving will sometimes seize the moment to make a quick getaway.

Many motorists who leave the scene of an accident will be traced based on the recollection of witnesses who might have spotted the car registration number, or based on CCTV footage. If a driver is not found, they are classed as an untraced driver; if a driver is found, but does not have motor insurance, they are classed as an uninsured driver.

The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) is a body that is charged with making payouts, including compensation, in cases where the driver at fault is uninsured or cannot be found.

How much compensation could you receive?

The amount of compensation you can claim will depend on which part of your body is injured, the severity of your injury and the long-term effects of your injury.

As for applying for compensation in the first place, an internet search for a local claims company may be the first option that springs to mind. However, while local knowledge can be helpful, it is sometimes better to head for a national company.

Instead of running a search like “accident involving a stolen car,” something along the lines of a search for “national accident advisor” may be more appropriate. Accident Advice Helpline, for example, have our own team of legal experts with experience covering all aspects personal injury law; if they can’t help, then it’s likely that nobody can.

You can find out how much you could be awarded by making use of our 30-second test™, or simply by giving us a call for free on 0800 083 5045. This is a no-obligation call, so don’t feel that there is any pressure at all. You’ve been through one traumatic experience already; we are here to help make it right.

No Win No Fee

Only pay a fee, if you receive compensation

98% of our road traffic accident cases are conducted on a No Win No Fee basis, meaning we only take a fee if we win compensation on your behalf, therefore there is no financial risk to you.

Read more