If proper precautions are not taken at restaurants, canteens, supermarkets or take away places, that all handle foods, people can become ill with food poisoning. If this is the case and you get food poisoning from any of these places, then you could be entitled to make a claim and receive compensation.
If you, or a loved one have eaten at a restaurant and the meal has made you ill, get in touch with Accident Advice Helpline today and get expert legal advice about making no win no fee* compensation claims in Sheffield.
How does your food become contaminated?
Food becomes contaminated usually because not enough care has been taken to prevent it from occurring. Food poisoning happens when food is contaminated with bacteria. People should make sure that:
- Food that is past its use by date should not be used
- Food should not be handled by someone who is ill or has dirty hands
- Cross contamination of foods where bacteria can spread such as work surfaces and equipment should be avoided
- Food has been cooked properly
- Food that should be chilled is stored at temperatures under five degrees
- Cooked food should not be left at warm temperatures for too long
Certain types of food are susceptible to bacteria and contamination and people should take more care when handling such foods as:
- Pre packed sandwiches
- Raw eggs
- Raw shellfish
- Unpasteurized milk
- Burgers and sausages
- Raw meat and poultry
- Cooked sliced meats
- Soft cheese
If you do get food poisoning, most cases are mild and should clear up within 3 to 4 days, but if you have a more severe case this could cause more long term problems. It has been known to damage the central nervous system and even cause death.Open Claim Calculator
What to do following food poisoning
If you know where you contracted the food poisoning it will make it easier for your injury lawyer. These are the things that can help with your claim:
- Keep all the relevant receipts such as supermarket till receipts and restaurant bills
- Find out if other people that ate with you are also ill
- Takes names and details of possible witnesses
- List what and where you have eaten in the previous 48 hours
- If you still have the suspect food, freeze it to preserve it
Call Accident Advice Helpline now to get expert help with no win no fee* compensation claims in Sheffield
Accident Advice Helpline will assist you in making your food poisoning claim. For more than 16 years we have helped many thousands of claimants, where the problem was not their fault, with their no win no fee* compensation claims in Sheffield.
To start your own no win no fee* compensation claims in Sheffield, dial 0800 689 0500 from a land line or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile to get free, no-obligation advice from a friendly adviser. Make the call today.