Types of whiplash injury
If you have been involved in a road accident and sustained injuries, one of the most likely injuries you could suffer from is a whiplash injury in Bolton. A whiplash injury is very common after a road accident, as it is caused by what is known as excessive hyperextension of the neck, when the neck is thrown too far forward and back, or left to right. It can also happen if the neck rotates drastically. Whiplash can be caused by a fall or even during sports, but is most common during a road accident.
Grades of whiplash injury in Bolton
There are four real grades of whiplash injury that your doctor will be looking out for to decide how serious your injury is and how it should be treated. These are:
- Grade 0: no symptoms
- Grade 1: neck pain but not further physical signs
- Grade 2: neck pain and some minor musculoskeletal complaints
- Grade 3: neck pain and neurological damage
- Grade 4: fracture or dislocation in the neck or spine
Most fatal whiplash injuries will be Grade 4 and will involve spine fracture or dislocation in the upper levels of the spine.
Symptoms doctors will look for
The types of symptoms your doctor will be looking for when assessing the type of whiplash injury you have sustained will include:
- Neck pain and pain or tightness in the jaw
- Reduced range of mobility in the neck
- Lower back pain
- Headache, dizziness and vertigo
- Numbness or tingling in the limbs. This can also be a sign of a spinal cord injury which the doctor will need to thoroughly investigate
- Women are more likely to suffer whiplash, so if you are female the doctor will be more likely be looking for this.
- If you had a seatbelt on with a shoulder restraint. Although whiplash is more common with this type of seatbelt, it is also less likely that you will have suffered more serious injuries as the result of your accident if you were wearing this type of seatbelt.
If you have sustained a whiplash injury in Bolton and the accident was not your fault, you may be able to claim compensation back from the person at fault. To find out if you are eligible for compensation you can call Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500 to speak to the dedicated and friendly team about what happened in your accident, and what evidence you have to support the fact that it was the other driver’s fault.
The team can then pass you over to an in-house experienced injury lawyer, who will talk you through the claims process to ensure that you are comfortable, and process your whiplash injury in Bolton claim on a 100% no win no fee basis to get you the compensation you deserve.