How to handle a blown tyre on a bike
A blown tyre can cause a serious accident or injury if you are riding a motorbike. Blowing a tyre means that your bike is likely to go completely out of control, meaning that you could easily veer into the path of oncoming vehicles, hit another obstacle or even simply sustain a serious whiplash injury in Blandford Forum, or elsewhere. Either way, you need to get the bike back under your control and know how to handle the situation, so that you do not risk a whiplash injury in Blandford Forum, or even death.
Be aware of problems in advance
If you know that your tyre might blow out before it does, then it gives you the chance to move your bike off of the road, or at the very least slow down enough that it will not cause a serious whiplash injury in or accident.
- Notice if the tyre has any scuffs, dents or other obvious issues. If you do notice anything out of place on your bike tyres, then you should not get on the bike in the first place, but call a mechanic and ask for advice.
- Notice that the bike becomes difficult to steer. Sudden loss of air from either tyre will make it suddenly very difficult to get the bike to stay in a straight line. As soon as this happens, you should decrease your speed.
- Notice any wobbling. Another thing which will happen before a tire blows out is that the wheels will start wobbling, at first a little but then uncontrollably. This is another sign to get off of the road.
Handle the tyre blowout after it occurs
If you do not notice the signs in advance, you can still get out of the situation safely without suffering any whiplash injury in Blandford Forum or other serious injury.
- Slow down. Immediately, as soon as you notice that the tyre has gone, you need to slow down your speed and let the bike start to coast to a stop.
- Grip the handlebars and use all of your strength to keep the bike going in one straight line.
- Slow to a stop and then get off of the bike and wheel it out of the way of traffic.
- Call for help without attempting to get back on the bike.
Claim compensation for a whiplash injury in Blandford Forum
If you feel that your accident was caused by someone else — perhaps a mechanic not checking your bike properly, for example — then you may be able to claim compensation for your accident or incident. If you have sustained a whiplash injury in Blandford Forum, you can take the following steps:
- Call Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500;
- Explain the situation to the team; and
- Ask to be passed onto an experienced injury lawyer, who will handle the case on your behalf to get you the compensation you deserve.
Date Published: 29th April 2014
Author: Emma Matthews