Preventing back and neck injuries
Sometimes, a back injury will not be your fault. If you suffer a whiplash injury in Anglesey as the result of another driver’s negligence, for example, then this cannot be perceived to be your own fault, even if it leaves you with an ongoing condition from which you cannot seem to recover quickly.
At other times, however, it may be a simple case of you not paying enough attention to your own health, overexerting yourself, or not doing things correctly which causes your back injury. Here are some ways in which you can prevent a back injury at all times:
- Get lots of exercise. Exercise is important for maintaining your general health, but is also important for stopping you from being at risk of certain injuries and conditions that you might not even have thought of. Exercise builds your body up so that it is strong, meaning that it is that much harder to injure yourself.
- Stay slim. Even if you have a sedentary job which means you spend most of your time sitting down, you can still keep your weight down by eating the right things as part of a decent, calorie-controlled diet. Being overweight puts the body under a lot of pressure and makes it far more likely that you will suffer a number of conditions, a bad back being one of them.
- Get a better posture. Most people slump when they sit and stand and don’t even know it, while a number of people are also sleeping in positions which cause their posture to be bad. Having bad posture causes a number of problems and puts huge pressure on the spine, which can cause back and neck problems in the future. See a physical therapist or personal trainer to get help with your posture.
- Know how to lift properly. If you have an active job which requires you to move things around a lot, you may also be lifting heavy objects from time to time. It is important that you know how best to lift heavy objects safely, or you risk causing yourself a serious back injury. This means lifting from bended knees, with your back straight, instead of stooping over.
- Stay out of risky situations. Even if you are a thrill seeker, know what adventures are going to positively affect your life and which carry too many risks to your personal health to try. Things like bungee jumping may seem exciting, but you do risk a permanent injury from it.
Claiming with Accident Advice Helpline
If you do suffer a whiplash injury in Anglesey as the result of someone else, you may be able to claim compensation using Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500, or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile. Our team will talk you through the accident which caused your injury and assign you to experienced injury lawyers if this is appropriate.