Winter survival if you break down or have a car accident
If you have a West Midlands car accident or your car breaks down somewhere remote during the winter, you will need to call the emergency services or your breakdown service, and wait for help to arrive. In the summer months this would not be as dangerous, but in winter when it is very cold this could be the most dangerous part of your West Midlands car accident. It is too easy to become ill from extreme cold and if you are in the middle of nowhere with only your car, you will need a winter survival kit packed and ready to use to keep yourself safe. Here are some of the things that your car should have to help you in this situation.
- Warm clothing. Whenever you are driving in winter, you should be wearing warm clothing and lots of layers, but also have spare clothing and layers in the car with you. This could save your life if you get wet or have to remain outside for a long period of time.
- Blankets or a sleeping bag. This offers yet more layers to keep yourself and any passengers warm, and will keep you cosy if you have to wait overnight.
- Chocolate and dried fruit. These are high energy, sugary foods which will help to stop you from getting hungry and provide your body with the fuel it needs to stay warm.
- Bottled water. Dehydration is more of a risk than hunger if you have to wait for help for a long time, so pack a few bottles of water in the car.
- Fluorescent clothing. A fluorescent vest could save your life if you need to walk along a dark road for help, or in foggy weather.
- Torch. This can be used to signal for help, or look under the bonnet to see what has gone wrong.
Can you claim compensation for your West Midlands car accident?
You should be able to claim compensation for any West Midlands car accident as long as you have evidence which proves that the accident was the fault of the other driver. You should find an experienced personal injury lawyer to work with you on this claim, as this will help you to process a claim more effectively.
Accident Advice Helpline has over 10 years’ experience with personal injury compensation claims, and works with experienced and professional personal injury lawyers who can work with you to get you the compensation you deserve. You can call the helpline on 0800 689 0500 to find out more about the claims process, and if you decide that a compensation claim is the right move for you then you can start a claim there and then.