How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Vehicle accident compensation

    If you have been involved in an accident caused by a poorly-maintained road, it may be possible for you to claim compensation.

    Improve your chances of success – collect evidence in support of your claim

    In most cases, the responsibility for the safe upkeep and maintenance of a road will lie with your local council. However, it can sometimes be the case that another agency has been appointed to look after the road in question.

    The law requires the relevant body to keep the roads in a state of good repair, but this does not mean the roads must be in perfect condition at all times. To receive vehicle accident compensation from the organisation at fault, you will need to prove the following points:

    1. That the road was unsafe at the time of your accident
    2. That your accident directly resulted from the dangerous condition of the road

    It is therefore crucial for you to obtain as much evidence as you can about the state of the road that was responsible for your accident. At Accident Advice Helpline, we recommend that you take various photographs of the accident location, giving an indication of the size and scale of the defect that caused your vehicle to career off the roads. If possible, you should place a ruler in or next to the defect when you take your photographs.

    It is also advisable for you to take down the contact details of any witnesses to your accident. If there were no witnesses, you should ask nearby residents or businesses whether they would be willing to comment on the state of the road and/or the longevity of the defect. Unfortunately, the organisation responsible for the maintenance of the road in question may be able to throw out your vehicle accident compensation claim if it can prove that it implemented a reasonable system of inspection and maintenance.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Start your vehicle accident compensation claim – call Accident Advice Helpline today

    As you may have gathered, there are countless factors to take into account when fighting a personal injury claim for an accident on a badly maintained road.

    If you wish to receive vehicle accident compensation, the best course of action is to let the knowledgeable legal team here at the Accident Advice Helpline guide you through the claims process. To get in touch with us, please call our Freephone helpline – 0800 689 0500 – or use our 30-second test.

    Date Published: 10th July 2014

    Author: Jan Newell

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority with licence number 591058 and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.