Trip or fall compensation
Trips and falls are amongst the most common causes of injury.
They can be caused by a number of factors, such as:
- the wrong type of flooring surface, e.g. not using a non-slip surface in an area where the floor is likely to get wet
- a broken floor surface, such as a pothole in the pavement or paving slabs that have a height difference of more than an inch
- hazards such as trailing electrical cables
- contamination, for instance from a spillage that has not been cleaned up
Trip and fall accidents can also be caused by inadequate warning signs and if warnings are not displayed, this can result in accidents that lead to injuries.
Often, trips and falls lead to little more than minor cuts and bruising. However, they can result in more severe injuries such as sprains and broken bones and this may mean that the person who is injured has to take time off work and losing wages whilst they recover.
Can I claim trip or fall compensation if I have been injured?
For any injury claim you usually need to start your compensation claim within three years of the date of your accident.
For your trip or fall compensation claim to be successful, you have to show that someone else was to blame. This could be because they:
- did not provide a suitable surface,
- failed to maintain the surface in a good state of repair,
- failed to keep the area clear of obstacles and other hazards,
- did not warn people of specific dangers, such as the fact that the surface was more slippery than usual as it had been cleaned recently.
It is a good idea to take photographs of whatever caused your trip or fall to prove what caused it. If you have a camera on your phone and have not been injured too badly, it is best to do this at the time of the accident. You should also keep a record of any out-of-pocket expenses that you have incurred as a result of your accident.
You can find out whether you have a valid trip or fall compensation claim by taking our unique 30-second online test at Accident Advice Helplines website. To maximise your chances of getting the full amount of trip or fall compensation due to you, you should consider using a professional law firm such as Accident Advice Helpline.
About Accident Advice Helpline
Accident Advice Helpline has been helping people with their compensation claims for many years. We have an extensive team of specialist in-house lawyers who work on a no-win, no-fee basis.
Why not give one of our professional, helpful advisors a call on 0800 689 0500 or from your mobile on 0333 500 0993.
Date Published: 2nd May 2013
Author: David Brown