How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Treating food poisoning

    Food poisoning and the symptoms of food poisoning can be very alarming to the sufferer and their family, but it pays to remember that it is not usually a very serious illness, and it is usually quite simple to treat, in all but the most serious instances.

    Seafood and mushrooms

    Although food poisoning is rarely a very serious problem, if it is suspected that the illness has been caused by either mushrooms or seafood it is important to seek medical help quickly. Usually calling the emergency services is a good idea as poisoning from many mushrooms and contaminated seafood can be lethal.

    Severe dehydration

    If the food poisoning patient is suffering from severe dehydration, you should also seek to get them to a hospital as severe dehydration can cause serious medical issues if left untreated for a significant period of time.

    Treating food poisoning in less serious cases

    If you do not believe that a case of food poisoning requires immediate emergency treatment, here is how you should go about treating it:

    • Get nausea and vomiting under control
      In order to get the symptoms of nausea and vomiting under control, you should avoid consuming solid foods until vomiting stops. Then, you should eat bland foods, which are light on the stomach, such as toast, rice, crackers and bananas. Regularly sipping liquids might help to reduce vomiting in some people, as will avoiding heavy fried foods, or foods which are either sweet or spicy.You should not take anti-nausea or anti-diarrhoea without first asking your doctor if it will be OK to do so.
    • Prevent dehydration
      Drinking clear fluids, sipping at first and then drinking more as time goes on, will help to prevent dehydration.If, however, you have been vomiting or suffering from diarrhoea for more than 24 hours, you may need to take an oral rehydration solution to replace fluids and electrolytes lost.

    When you should call a doctor

    If you experience any of the following symptoms for more than three days in a row, you should call a doctor:

    Open Claim Calculator

    • Severe abdominal pain
    • Blood in stools
    • Excessive vomiting
    • Bloody vomit
    • Dizziness
    • Fatigue
    • Increased heart or breathing rate
    • Decreased urination

    Claiming for food poisoning

    If your food poisoning illness was caused by the negligence of another, you may be entitled to claim personal injury compensation. This is something that Accident Advice Helpline can help you with. If you require more information about making a claim or treating food poisoning, simply give us a call freephone on 0800 689 0500, or on 0333 500 0993 if you are dialling from a mobile.

    Date Published: 13th August 2016

    Author: Lynne Bell

    Category: Food poisoning claims

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority with licence number 591058 and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.