What if someone flashes their headlights at you?
In order to avoid a Tower Hamlets car accident, you need to know all of the signs and signals on the road so that you can tell what you need to do at any specific time. Flashing headlights has been a universal signal since the 1960s and is generally used when another driver wants to let you know something. Flashing headlights can be used to express thanks, or to let someone go, or also to let someone know that something is wrong with their car or on the road up ahead. Here are some things to take into consideration if someone flashes their headlights at you.
- Are they letting you go? If a car flashes its headlights at you when you are trying to make a turn, the driver is probably offering you a chance to go in front of them. It is only polite to take this option to avoid holding them up any further.
- Have you just let them go? In this case, a driver is probably thanking you by flashing their lights. Drivers may sometimes hold a hand up in thanks instead of flashing their lights as well.
- Have you go your headlights on? If you have been driving as it has gotten dark, you may not have remembered to put your lights on. If you are flashed by another driver after dark, consider whether your lights are on before anything else.
- Is there something wrong with your vehicle? A common reason for flashing headlights is to warn a driver of something, and if you are being flashed by multiple drivers they may be warning you that something is wrong. Pull over and investigate.
- Use your own judgement. If a flash seems to be for one reason, but this seems dangerous or you are not sure, then use your own judgement to be safe.
How to claim compensation for a Tower Hamlets car accident
If you have been involved in a Tower Hamlets car accident which you know was not your fault, and feel that you have the proof of the other driver’s negligence to back you up in court, you should look into making a compensation claim for any injuries you have sustained.
Accident Advice Helpline has over 10 years’ experience with personal injury compensation claims, and works with experienced personal injury lawyers to help you get the compensation you deserve. You can call the helpline on 0800 689 0500, or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile to speak to the team about your Tower Hamlets car accident and make a start on a claim. Your lawyer will work on a 100% ‘no win, no fee’ basis to get you the compensation you deserve, and will also work on your behalf, making the process easier on you.
Date Published: 12th June 2014
Author: David Brown