How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Timescale for suing after a car crash

    Timescale for suing after a car crash

    If you have suffered a personal injury in a car crash and wish to obtain compensation from the guilty party, you should be aware that there is a timescale for suing after a car crash.

    The most common claim in a car crash case is negligence, the time limit for which is three years. This means that you must issue court proceedings within three years of the date of your accident, or the date on which you were made aware that you had sustained an injury as a result of your accident.

    Exceptions to the three-year timescale for suing after a car crash

    There are some important exceptions to the three-year timescale for suing after a car crash. If your children have been injured in a car crash, the three-year timescale for suing after a car crash will not begin to run until they turn 18 years of age. They must therefore issue their claim in court before they turn 21.

    There are also special rules for people who struggle to manage their affairs because of mental incapacity (an inability to make decisions because of impairments of, or disturbances in, the brain). If a prospective claimant is suffering from mental incapacity, the Court of Protection, a special branch of the court, may appoint a person to step into the role of litigation friend. This individual will then be able to conduct legal proceedings on behalf of the mentally incapacitated individual.

    If the special exceptions noted above do not apply to your claim, and you sustained an injury in an accident that occurred over three years ago, it may still be possible for you to bring a claim against the guilty party. If you have only recently been made aware of your injury, or were initially advised that your injury was minor only to find out some time later that it was more serious than you thought, the three-year period will start from the date on which you linked your injury to your accident, referred to as the date of knowledge.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Claim experts at Accident Advice Helpline

    To determine whether or not you still have a right to receive compensation, let the legal team here at Accident Advice Helpline look into your case. Simply call our free helpline today and we will provide you with all the advice and support you require.

    Dial 0800 689 0500 from a landline, or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile phone to connect with a member of our team. Alternatively, you can text, ‘claim365’ to 88010 and one of our advisers will call you back as soon as possible.

    Category: Car accident claims

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority with licence number 591058 and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.