What to do following a South Norfolk accident
If you want to claim compensation for your South Norfolk accident then there are several things that you can do to help your claim.
- The first thing you should do after your accident is write a brief account of what happened. This needn’t be very long but be sure to include any details that you can remember.
- If you have any visible injuries, take photos of them; also take photos of the accident scene (if applicable). For example, if you tripped over uneven paving take a photo of that, if you were injured in a car accident take a picture of any damage to your car and where the accident happened.
- If there were any witnesses to your South Norfolk accident then take their details. Most people will be quite happy to provide a witness statement, which could be a big help to your case, especially if whoever is responsible for your accident doesn’t admit liability.
- If you didn’t visit a hospital or receive medical treatment at the scene, make an appointment to see your doctor. Your visit will be on your medical record which a court may ask to see.
- Keep a log of any costs arising from your accident, and any evidence you may have to support these costs, such as receipts and bank or credit card statements. You can claim compensation for things such as lost income, child care costs, travel expenses, private medical treatment, the cost to hire a temporary vehicle and money spent replacing personal items damaged in your accident. Include anything you think may be relevant; your solicitor will be able to advise you further when you submit your claim.
- Report your accident to the relevant authority; if you have any reason to suspect that a law has been broken, report the accident to the police. If your accident was brought about by negligence then write to whomever was responsible; for work injuries this would be your employer, for accidents caused by municipal negligence, your local council. If you are unsure who is liable for your South Norfolk accident call our helpline and one of our advisors will try and help you find this out.
You can claim compensation for your South Norfolk accident providing that it took place in the last three years, and it was someone else’s fault. You can claim for any injury, or illness, that you suffered because of an accident:
- On the road.
- At work
- In a public place
- At home (as a result of using a faulty appliance for example)
- Or on holiday
If you need any more information about personal injury compensation, or want some advice about claiming for your South Norfolk accident, call us on 0800 689 0500, or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile.
Our advisors are on hand twenty four hours a day and all calls are confidential.
Date Published: 30th June 2014
Author: David Brown