Hip fractures are generally associated with older people, but can actually happen to anyone of any age. The hip is a strong bone that will generally not suffer damage unless you are in a serious accident, but as you get older wear and tear can cause this bone to become more liable to injury. Whatever the reason for a hip fracture, it can be very painful and cause difficulty in moving around for some time afterwards. Here are some tips for your recovery.
- Try to stand as soon as possible. Just one day after surgery you should try to stand up and by three days you should be able to walk, even if only for a short way. This will help you hip to retain its motion and improve your recovery. Not only this but it reduces your risk of infection and blood clots.
- Go to physical therapy. You will be made to go to physical therapy whilst you are in the hospital, but should continue with your sessions after the hospital as well in order to keep yourself moving and strengthening your hip.
- Take supplements. Calcium and vitamin D supplements will help to heal you completely, as well as preventing a possible further hip fracture. Take any medication prescribed by your doctors as well.
- Get help around the home. Hire a nurse or ask friends and family members to help you around the home as you recover from your surgery. You will probably find it difficult to move around at first, and the help will be necessary.
- Adapt your home. Get elevated seating (including a toilet seat and a seat for the bath) which will make sitting easier, as it can be hard to bend properly after your surgery. You will also want to think about possible tripping hazards in your home, and remove these or put them away until you are back on your feet properly.
Looking for solicitors on the Isle of Iona?
If the reason for your hip fracture was an accident which was not your fault, or an injury caused by someone else, you may want to consider making a claim for compensation against this person using an injury solicitor.
Accident Advice Helpline does not have injury solicitors on the Isle of Iona working directly for them. However, this doesn’t matter, they can still help you. They are a national personal injury law firm that work with accident victims in all areas of the UK. So if you need injury solicitors on the Isle of Iona or anywhere else get in touch!
Accident Advice Helpline has over 10 years’ experience with injury claims, and can provide you with an experienced solicitor to help you to get the compensation you deserve. You can call the helpline on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile phone to speak to the team, and be passed over to a solicitors who will work on a 100% ‘no win, no fee*’ basis, and will also work on your behalf throughout your case.