How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    School injuries

    School injuries

    You expect your children to be safe at school and for them to be protected from injuries in accidents. Unfortunately, this is not always the case and many school injuries happen every day in the UK. Many of them are minor, but some require medical attention.

    We all know that our children will get cuts and grazes from the normal rough and tumble of school, and they may even get a broken bone by falling in the playground while running around with their friends, but sometimes school injuries happen because:

    • A child is run over in the car park
    • A lack of supervision means they get involved in activities that puts them in danger
    • An old desk gives off huge splinters and injures them
    • A chemistry teacher gets the mix wrong in an experiment
    • A cookery teacher is not careful enough and a child is burned or scalded
    • Cleaners miss a spillage and a child has a nasty slip, banging their head as they fall

    These are just a few of the ways in which school injuries happen. If your child is injured at school as a result of an accident that is no fault of their own, then you should be claiming compensation on their behalf.

    State or private, school injuries will still happen

    It does not matter what type of school your child goes to — none of them are immune to accidents happening and children being injured. From a personal injury point of view, the main difference is who settles the claim. With a state school, it would probably be the local authority; with a private school, it would be their insurance company.

    You should make a claim for school injuries on behalf of your child

    Children injured in school accidents are obviously too young to make claims themselves. A personal injury claim is a legal process, therefore an adult needs to make the claim on their behalf. The courts would expect this to be a parent or guardian, and would probably not allow claims made by anyone else. The courts also usually ask that any money awarded is put into a trust until the child reaches 18.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Let’s make it easy for your child

    The trauma of an accident is bad enough if you are an adult, but for children it can be even worse. Here at Accident Advice Helpline, we will make sure that your child has as little stress as possible, and in the majority of cases we are able to avoid them having to visit a courtroom, which is something that can be quite daunting for a youngster.

    If you are unsure whether to proceed, speak to one of our friendly and compassionate advisors on 0800 689 0500 if you are using a landline, or on 0333 500 0993 if you are using a mobile. They will answer any questions you may have about claiming for your child, but their advice is free and you will be under no obligation at all to continue. Some injuries can be life changing, so you owe it to your child to at least look at the option of making a personal injury compensation claim on their behalf.

    Date Published: 25th March 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority with licence number 591058 and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.