How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    RTA compensation in the UK

    Cars are not the only vehicles that have road traffic accidents; lorries, buses, motorbikes and cycles could all be involved in one. Since the recession hit, ways of cutting costs have been at the forefront of many people’s minds and taking to the road on two wheels instead of four has been the solution for some, particularly with cycles.

    The only problem with cycling on the UK roads is that they are not really designed with cyclists in mind and you could easily have a road traffic accident which was not your fault, and you would probably be injured. This is when you would need to use an injury lawyer at Accident Advice Helpline, to make an RTA compensation claim in the UK.

    Another problem with the UK roads is the maintenance of them, as they tend to have potholes and bad road surfaces. These could also cause you have an accident which was not your fault, and the injuries you sustain might mean you want to make an RTA compensation claim in the UK.

    How to avoid an RTA compensation claim in the UK

    Cyclists are extremely vulnerable on our roads, as they have very little protection and their injuries tend to be serious if they have been involved in an accident.  There are some precautions they can take to try and reduce the risks, for instance:

    • If you are passing parked cars always leave enough space for a door to be opened
    • Check you lights, brakes etc. on your cycle before leaving home
    • Wear a well fitting good quality helmet
    • Good sturdy shoes are a must
    • Knee pads and elbow pads can help
    • A good knowledge of the Highway Code is vital. Cyclists are the only road users who do not have to take a test
    • If riding with others, ride single file and leave gaps so cars can get past you easily

    If you take these precautions you will hopefully reduce the risk of having to use an injury solicitor to make an RTA compensation claim in the UK.

    Open Claim Calculator

    The injuries:

    • Broken bones
    • Road rash
    • Head and brain injuries
    • Facial injuries
    • Joint damage
    • Internal injuries
    • Back and spinal injuries
    • Eye injuries
    • Trauma

    Any type of injury can be the result of any accident and all are covered by the rules of personal injury compensation claims.

    Making a claim for compensation

    In any sort of road traffic accident, if someone is injured the police should be called.  As part of their job while there, they should speak to everyone involved so they can complete an accident report. This report may be very useful to you when making your injury claim. 

    If you are able, take the details of anyone else involved, although most cycle accidents are solo events caused by potholes or bad road surfaces.  Also take the details of any witnesses, as you may need these when making your injury claim.

    The next step should be to contact Accident Advice Helpline, either on their freephone number, 0800 180 4123, or by completing the 30-second test on the website.  Our advisors will discuss you case with you and let you decide if you want to proceed.  The decision is totally yours, no pressure from us at all.


    Date Published: 19th March 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority with licence number 591058 and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.