One of the reasons that Accident Advice Helpline deal with more road traffic injury claims in the winter than in the summer is that drivers find it harder to see the road and obstacles clearly in the winter. Visibility is an important winter driving issue and could contribute towards many road traffic claims.
Accident Advice Helpline provide a no win no fee legal service to their clients and negotiate fair levels of compensation for injuries that have been sustained in road traffic accidents that were not their own fault.
There are several common sense precautions that drivers can take to minimise their chances of being involved in a road traffic injury claim and some of these are given here.
Preventing road traffic claims in Heysham in the winter by improving visibility
Improving visibility plays a key role in preventing road traffic claims in Heysham.
This can be done by:
- Making sure that all the windows of the car (particularly the front windscreen) are clean – this means free from snow. If you have snow on the roof of your car clear it off before you start your journey – it could fall down onto your windscreen and obscure your view during your journey. It is actually illegal to start off on a journey when you cannot see out of the windows of your car properly.
- The sun is very low in the sky at this time of the year and can severely dazzle drivers who can be temporarily blinded. You can minimise the effects of dazzle by making sure that the windscreen is clean. This applies both to the inside and to the outside.
- If your windscreen has scratches, abrasions or chips it can worsen the effect of the dazzle. You should consider renewing a windscreen which is damaged in this way.
- You cannot rely on normal windscreen washer additive to get rid of stubborn greasy marks on the windscreen. They will remain where they are and obscure your view. You could use a cream glass cleaner or a small amount of dishwasher powder. The abrasive substance together with some vigorous rubbing should remove most greasy marks. It is useful to use kitchen roll and to only attempt to clean one small area at a time.
- Windscreens easily become misted up in the winter months. Modern cars have air-conditioning systems which can chill the internal surface of the glass and so stop the water from condensing there. This will quickly remove the condensation and restore your visibility.
- You windscreen wipers will not be able to keep the exterior surface of your windscreen clear if they are worn or damaged. You should check them regularly and change them if they are not in good condition.
- During the winter months it is a good idea to get into the habit of putting windscreen wipers in the off position when you stop the car. This means that they will not try and start working the next day when they may be frozen to the windscreen.
So for expert legal advice about a possible claim call Accident Advice Helpline today on: 0800 689 0500 from a landline or: 0333 500 0993 from a mobile.
Date Published: 24th November 2013
Author: David Brown