Throughout the UK, cycling is fast becoming a popular pastime. People of all ages can enjoy this simple activity, whether they take part just for pleasure, to commute to and from work or maybe they are racers. The only problem is that cyclists are very vulnerable on our roads as they do not have much protection.
If they are in a road accident in Rutland the results can be dire. If they survive they can sustain some very serious injuries. If the accident was not their fault, then they may want to contact an injury solicitor to make a personal injury compensation claim.
An Injury solicitor suggests some precautions against serious injuries in a road accident in Rutland
Another vehicle does not have to be the only cause of an accident that a cyclist can have. Potholes and bad road surfaces can easily throw a cyclist from their bike. There are some things you can do to try and reduce the risks of an accident or being seriously injured in one, for instance:
- Do not ride next to other riders making it difficult for vehicles to overtake you
- Make sure your cycle is well maintained, particularly the lights and brakes
- If you are passing parked cars, leave enough room for the door to be opened without smashing into you
- Wear a well fitting, good quality safety helmet. Make sure it is purchased from a reputable dealer as there are many fakes on the market that will give you no protection at all
- Make sure the rules of the road are used, know the Highway Code
- Knee and elbow protectors will help with these particular joints
- Wear good cycling shoes to try and prevent broken bones in your feet as this happens often
- Wear bright clothing, preferably high visibility so that other road users are more aware of you
No one can guarantee that you will not be in a road accident in Rutland that was not your fault, but these tips may help reduce the risk of an accident and serious injuries in one.
The injuries that might happen in a cycle accident
Cycle injuries from a road accident in Rutland or any accident vary greatly from a few abrasions to something much more serious like brain injuries. These are just a few suggestions of the injuries than can be sustained:Open Claim Calculator
- Road rash
- Facial injuries
- Joint damage
- Anxiety and stress
- Eye injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Back and spine injuries
- Head and brain injuries
Where cyclists should go for help to claim their compensation
Accident Advice Helpline has been helping cyclists for over 15 years. We have handled many cases of personal injury compensation for cycle riders, unfortunately some of them have been fatalities and we have helped the bereaved families.
Our advisors are friendly, professional and have compassion; they will understand what you are going through and will help you all they can. You can contact them on our freephone number, 0800 180 4123.
On our website there is the 30-second test. This will give you some guidance as to the amount of compensation you may be awarded.