How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Poisoning claim

    You may be able to make a food poisoning claim at Accident Advice Helpline if you have eaten at a restaurant or had a takeaway meal that has made you ill with food poisoning.

    Whether you live in Scotland or Devon, whether you have eaten the food out or bought it at a local supermarket, if you become ill as a result of eating it then you may be entitled to make a food poisoning claim with the assistance of Accident Advice Helpline.

    You will be in no doubt you have food poisoning

    You will soon know if you have food poisoning, because usually within a few hours of eating the bad food you will be:

    • Having stomach cramps;
    • Feeling sick;
    • Vomiting; and
    • Having diarrhoea.

    Any of these symptoms can take up to three days to start, and should clear up by themselves within a further three or four days. If they do not, you should seek medical treatment. There are other problems with food poisoning such as dehydration, so you should make sure that you rest and drink plenty of water to avoid this.


    Dehydration can occur in the more serious cases of food poisoning, and there are some groups of people to whom it is more likely to happen, for instance:

    Open Claim Calculator

    • People with low immune systems such as sufferers of HIV or cancer;
    • The very young; and
    • The elderly.

    The symptoms of dehydration are sunken eyes and passing small amounts of dark coloured and smelly urine. If this is happening, then you may need to see a doctor as soon as possible. In extreme cases of food poisoning, the central nervous system can be damaged and even death can occur in extreme situations.

    Finding who is at fault

    Foods can go through several different stages before they actually reach the outlet you have eaten or purchased it from, and contamination can happen at any one of them. It could therefore be the fault of a supplier, and not the food outlet, that is causing the problem. If it has happened to you, then it is likely to happen to other victims as well.

    It is for these reasons that you should report your food poisoning to the Food Standards Agency (FSA), who deal with these matters. They will arrange an unannounced inspection and ensure that the outlet is complying with the rules and regulations, and if they are not then they will make them do so. If it is not their fault, the FSA will track the source of the contamination and make sure that it is stopped to prevent a spread.

    Making a food poisoning claim with Accident Advice Helpline

    After reporting the issue to the FSA, you should then contact Accident Advice helpline on our free helpline number, 0800 689 0500 from a landline or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile, to discuss your case with one of our friendly advisors. They will talk about your claim with you and give you all the information you need to decide if you want to pursue a food poisoning claim.

    Our website has what we call the 30-second test, which will let you know if you have a valid claim and give you an estimate of the amount you may be awarded.

    Date Published: 24th March 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority with licence number 591058 and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.