How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Sue for damages in Plymouth

    Everyone hopes that we will never be the victim of a violent crime, but it happens every day to the people of Plymouth just like it does in the rest of the country.

    If this has unfortunately happened to you some time in the last two years, and the injuries that you sustained needed medical attention, you may be able to sue for damages in Plymouth, for which you might want to use the services of an injury solicitor at Accident Advice Helpline.

    We know this will not take away the trauma of your experience, but the government see it as a public recognition of the suffering you have been caused.

    The criminal injuries system for a personal injury claim

    The Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme, which is administered by the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA), is government-funded to compensate the blameless victims of violent crime. The amount of compensation relating to each particular type of injury is decided by Parliament.

    What the scheme will pay for

    The Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme will pay for:

    Open Claim Calculator

    • Special expenses payments – to cover specific injury-related requirements which are not free of charge from any source;
    • Fatal injuries, including loss of parental services and financial dependency;
    • Funeral payments;
    • Probate costs;
    • Personal injury compensation following a single incident;
    • Personal injury compensation following a period of abuse; and
    • Loss of earnings.

    CICA should be the last resort to claim you compensation. They will expect you to have tried to obtain it from the assailant first, if you know who they are. If the assailant does not have the means by which to settle your claim, then CICA will consider it.

    The people who can make a claim

    You may be able to sue for damages in Plymouth if:

    • You are the qualifying relative of a victim who has died from injuries caused by a crime of violence;
    • You are a British citizen or a EU nation with a right to be in the UK;
    • You were a direct victim of a crime of violence;
    • You were not to blame for the incident;
    • The incident happened within the last two years;
    • You reported it to the police and helped with their enquiries;
    • You sustained an injury while taking an exceptional and justified risk, while trying to remedy or prevent a crime; and/or
    • You sustained a mental injury as a result of witnessing or being involved in the immediate aftermath of an incident in which a loved one is injured.

    We can help with the complicated processes

    Accident Advice Helpline are here to help you through the processes of making a criminal injuries claim. They are strict and complicated, to ensure that only victims who are entitled to compensation from the scheme are awarded it. This is exactly as it should be, but if you are in this situation then our help will make the claim so much easier and stress-free.

    Speak to one of our advisors on our freephone number, 0800 689 0500 from a landline or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile. You will find them friendly, professional and compassionate, and your conversation will be confidential.

    Date Published: 24th March 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority with licence number 591058 and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.