What to do in case of an accident at school
A school is one of the most important places for every child.
But a school is not only a place to learn, it’s also a place where children can have fun together. We all know how active children are while growing up and we know that accidents are inevitable. But not all accidents are harmless and sometimes it’s not the children’s fault.
Parents can sometimes claim compensation from the school if there was a clear element of negligence or poor planning. If you need help with your compensation claim you can call a personal injury lawyer in Southgate.
Every parent’s first instinct is look after their child – but don’t be too quick to point a finger and play the blame game. Before making a claim for compensation, you should make sure the accident was a result of negligence, poor supervision, badly maintained playgrounds, or something similar.
How your child can get hurt
- Slips, trips and falls – Some of the most common causes for accidents at school are slips, trips and falls. Children are constantly running around and this is why they should be constantly supervised. They should also be discouraged from running inside the school. In special schools, measures should be in place to prevent children from climbing on inappropriate objects or using equipment in any way it was not designed for
- Playgrounds – Another place where a child might get hurt is the playground. Playgrounds are great for kids, but they pose a potential safety hazard. Poorly maintained playgrounds and lack of supervision can become the reason for serious injuries
- Chemicals – Maintaining a clean environment for the youngsters is very important, but cleaning chemicals can be very dangerous. Children like to explore the world and therefore cleaning solutions which are not stored properly can be inhaled or get on your child’s skin and eyes
- Defective equipment – With the fast advancement of technology, many schools are starting to use more and more electronics such as laptops and projectors for presentations in order to better capture the attention of the little ones. However, if this equipment is defective, the children are exposed to the risk of electrical shocks and burns. If your child has suffered injuries from such an accident, call a personal injury lawyer Southgate for advice on your claim for compensation
- Sports – Sports are great for children who need to release some of their abundant amounts of energy. But sports can be very dangerous too. When kids are not being given the right instructions as to how to perform a certain exercise or if they are not supervised properly, they can get seriously injured
- Injuries from other children – children, particularly in Inclusive Education schools, can sometimes be over-physical with each other. There should be sufficient supervision, control and planning in a school to ensure that children to not hurt each other
Start your claim today with a personal injury lawyer Southgate
Kids can be very delicate and should be supervised at all times. If you believe your child was hurt in an accident due to poor supervision or negligence, contact a personal injury lawyer Southgate or reach Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 if you’re calling from a mobile.
Date Published: 31st May 2014
Author: David Brown