For many people DIY and gardening are therapeutic activities, even hobbies, which help them to relax. However any participants should always be aware of the grave dangers which exist when performing many DIY and gardening tasks. Around 2,000 people are injured every year due to DIY-related accidents and a sizeable proportion of these injuries lead to compensation claims for injuries by using a local personal injury lawyer in Carmarthen, or wherever they live.
DIY and gardening accidents
Some common personal injury cases related to gardening and DIY accidents include the following:
- Electrical shocks from damaged tools and equipment such as lawnmowers, drills, sanders, etc;
- Skin irritations and burns from chemical products;
- Cuts from sharp equipment like saws, nails and axes. Sometimes digits can be lost by the use of such tools;
- Falls from height, this includes falls from ladders and roofs; and
- Eye injuries from sparks, dangerous chemicals or paint
Many of these injuries may be caused through your own fault, if you did not wear proper protection like goggles, hard hats or gloves, or if you were acting carelessly, perhaps straining yourself on a ladder, causing it to move and topple to the ground.
Yet in many of the above cases someone else could be held responsible, and in such circumstances you can make a claim. For instance:
- Perhaps you bought chemical products which did not advise the use of gloves or contained toxic chemicals that were not listed on the label;
- You could have bought a ladder which was badly constructed by the manufacturer and one of the rungs could have come loose during use, causing you to slip or fall; or
- Faulty electrical equipment could blow up or catch fire and leave you with a nasty burn or scar.
These are just a few examples and there are of course many other possible accidents that may occur whilst doing DIY or gardening which may be the fault of another person or company.Open Claim Calculator
Claiming compensation for a DIY or gardening injury
In such cases, or any type of accident where another person is at fault, we advise you to consider claiming compensation. It is not fair for you to suffer because of someone else’s actions or negligence. UK law enshrines this right and we want to help you exercise it.
To make your claim you can use a local injury lawyer in Carmarthen, if this is where you live, or a solicitors’ firm in a neighbouring town or even a national firm like Accident Advice Helpline.
We know it might sound scary to use a big, unknown company but in many cases this may be the better option compared to a local, smaller injury lawyer in Carmarthen or somewhere else.
The benefits offered by Accident Advice Helpline include:
- Access to a 24/7 helpline so you can contact us whenever you have any worries or concerns about your case;
- A no win no fee* basis for making claims, meaning you only pay solicitors’ fees if your case is successful; and
- 15 years’ specialist experience dealing solely with personal injury law.
Smaller local firms, like an injury lawyer in Carmarthen, often do not have the resources to offer such services, which can make the process of claiming more costly, inconvenient and risky for you.
To hear more about how we can help with a claim for a DIY or gardening accident, or any other accident call:
- 0800 689 0500 (free from a landline); or
- 0333 500 0993 (from a mobile, calls may be charged).