Carbon monoxide is known as the ‘Silent Killer” because it has no colour or smell and victims are often unaware that they are breathing it in. Once in the bloodstream it stops oxygen travelling around your body and your cells and tissues start to die. It can cause brain damage, nerve damage, damage to your blood vessels and arteries, and death.
If ever you suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning through the fault of someone else, personal injury claims in Uttlesford are a way of getting the compensation you would be entitled to.
The ways carbon monoxide poisoning happens
Carbon monoxide is produced when gas, coal, oil or wood cannot burn properly. It is produced by cars and barbeques every day, but because they are in the open air, it does not cause direct harm.
In the home faulty appliances such as cookers, fires, boilers or central heating systems can produce it. You should have all of the items serviced by a qualified engineer at least once a year, as if one of them start to give off this deadly gas, it could be too late by the time you are found.
Sometimes, these appliances are fitted incorrectly, or they could be defective, and then they can cause the problem. If this happens to you because of a cause such as this, you should be claiming compensation by making a personal injury claim in Uttlesford.Open Claim Calculator
In the workplace employers should do everything they can to reduce the risk of employees being exposed to carbon monoxide. If they cannot eliminate it totally, they should provide the necessary protective gear to stop employees breathing it in. Good ventilation and masks with independent air supplies are a good starting point to protect their staff from the harm that this gas can cause.
Treating carbon monoxide poisoning
As soon as you are exposed to the gas you will start to feel really ill, and the longer the exposure goes on the worse you will feel. You should try to get away from the source and into fresh air if possible.
Depending on how much exposure you have had, you may need oxygen to help your body recover, and if the exposure was large, the hospital will want to check your heart and other vital organs to make sure they are all working OK. Most people will make a full recovery from carbon monoxide poisoning, but sometimes victims are left with permanent damage.
Making personal injury claims in Uttlesford for carbon monoxide poisoning
If you have been exposed to carbon monoxide through no fault of your own, you should contact Accident Advice Helpline to discuss claiming compensation for the suffering you have been caused.
We will not ask for any money to start your claim as the no win no fee* agreement finances it for you. Just call our freephone helpline on 0800 180 4123 and speak to our friendly advisors for all the information you may need if you are considering making a personal injury compensation claim.