If you have been the victim of an accident that was not your fault, then you have a right to claim compensation for the injuries and inconvenience you have suffered. Most people already know this, but may be put off from making a claim because they are not sure what the personal injury claims process UK claimants will have to follow is.
Personal injury claims process UK explained
The following step by step description details the personal injury claims process UK wide that most claimants will follow. As with anything, there are always exceptions to the rule, but this brief guide should give you a good idea of what to expect. Here is the step by step personal injury claims process in the UK:
- The victim calls a law firm such as the Accident Advice Helpline who discuss the details of their case and advise them on whether to progress with a claim.
- The victim decides to proceed and is put in touch with a specialist solicitor who is up to speed on the personal injury claims process UK law requires and is best placed to represent them.
- The lawyer gathers evidence on the claim and discusses with the victim what the likely amount of compensation payable will be. Between them they agree an amount that they will settle for.
- In some cases the solicitor will make what is known as a Part 36 offer to the defendant, which is an offer to settle out of court for a pre agreed amount. If this is refused then the case will go to court.
- The solicitor represents his client in court to fight for the compensation. In the majority of cases the victim needn’t attend court, but if you do you will be fully briefed by your legal team.
- The compensation amount is agreed and the victim receives their payment.
It really is as straightforward as that. Obviously some cases will be more complicated and may involve an extra medical appointment or contact with witnesses at the scene, but in most cases the solicitor does all the hard work, leaving the victim to concentrate on getting well.
It can’t be that easy?
The personal injury claims process UK law has devised is designed to be as straightforward as possible. In anyone’s eyes it is not fair for someone to be hurt and to be unable to work or do a hobby they enjoyed due to someone else’s negligence. The UK compensation process has been designed to let anyone in this situation make an easy and straightforward claim to redress the balance.
Here at the Accident Advice Helpline, we help thousands of victims every year claim what they are entitled to, and most of them are surprised at how easy it really is. Contact us today to find out how we can help you get what is rightfully yours.