Accident Advice Helpline are often called upon to help with personal injury claims in West Lothian that relate to RTAs (Road Traffic Accidents).
Young male drivers are significantly more accident prone
Young men are unfortunately the most accident prone when it comes to RTAs according to statistics. RTAs are the sole biggest causes of accidental death to both young men and young women here in the UK. Although young people account for only 1 in 8 drivers, in terms of RTA deaths, 1 death in every 4 is a young man or woman.
Injury statistics appertaining to young drivers
- An 18 year old male driver is more than 3 times as likely to be involved in a serious RTA, than say a 48 year old male.
- After passing their driving test, 1 out of every 5 new drivers is involved in an RTA.
- More young male drivers are involved in RTAs than young female drivers.
- Young male drivers between the ages of 17 to 20 are 7 times more likely than older male drivers to be involved in an RTA.
- Between the hours of 2am and 5am in the morning, 17 to 20 year olds are more than 17 times as likely to be involved in RTAs than older male drivers
Young drivers and drink driving
Drink driving still accounts for a high percentage of RTAs. According to latest figures available (which relate to the year 2012) the incidence rate of drink drive related deaths rose by 26%. It is a worrying trend, particularly as the overall RTA accident rate is declining year on year. It means that there is a hard core of offenders. Once again it is young drivers who are most at fault, with more drivers of 25 years of age or younger failing breathe tests at accident scenes or roadside checks, than older drivers.
Clunk-click every trip
Another worrying statistic is that of all young drivers killed in RTAs, over one third were not wearing their seatbelts. In terms of young passengers killed in RTAs, over one fifth were not wearing their seatbelts. It sounds like we need another “clunk-click” campaign; especially for young people.
Personal injury claims in West Lothian – we stand by our reputation
Accident Advice Helpline has an excellent reputation when it comes to maximising compensation awards, not only for personal injury claims in West Lothian, but for personal injury claims anywhere here in the UK. Not only that, but when people trust us with their claims, they also benefit from:
- A no win no fee injury claim service that is recommended by Esther Rantzen
- Free use of our website based 30 second HOW MUCH compensation calculator
- One of the most comprehensive customer support packages in the industry
- Our free 24/7 helpline – 0800 180 4123 from landlines, 0333 500 0992 from mobiles
Date Published: 9th August 2014