With half a mind on personal injury claims in East Renfrewshire, the council has issued a timely reminder to residents, not to wash chicken if they are going to be barbecuing it or cooking it in any other way for that matter.
Don’t splash it about
Last month, “Food Safety Week” came and went with a clear message: “Don’t wash your chicken!” The act of washing chicken increases the probability of splashing bacteria onto other food, kitchen services, and utensils. This can cause food poisoning via a bacterium known as Campylobacter which causes severe nausea, vomiting, and diarrhoea.
Especially dangerous for young children and the elderly
Campylobacter food poisoning is not overly serious in most people with a healthy immune system; but it can prove more dangerous to small children whose immune systems are not yet properly developed, and elderly people whose immune systems have become compromised and/or weakened through age. Bearing this in mind, East Renfrewshire’s environmental health team, together with a local councillor, have been broadcasting the message at the various supermarkets in the East Renfrewshire area.
Personal injury claims in East Renfrewshire relating to food poisoning
Civil cases between friends and acquaintances are very rare when it comes down to cases of food poisoning. But if the food poisoning can be traced back to a specific shop, or eating venue, and we are talking about cases whereby the food poisoning has had a severe effect on the victim, claims for compensation are more likely to be raised. Accident Advice Helpline have processed many such personal injury claims in East Renfrewshire over the years.
Contaminated chicken causes four out of five cases of Campylobacter food poisoning
Campylobacter is one of the most common forms of food poisoning in the UK. It affects approximately 280,000 people per annum, and the Food Standards Agency estimates that 4 out of every 5 cases of Campylobacter food poisoning come from infected poultry. Properly cooked chicken (even chicken contaminated with Campylobacter), is usually safe to eat, as the cooking kills off the bacteria. It can, however, be spread to other items of food or food utensils, when chicken is washed before cooking; hence the recent warnings.Open Claim Calculator
30 seconds well spent
If you’ve suffered from a case of severe food poisoning, and you’d like to know how much compensation you could be awarded, you can go to the Accident Advice Helpline website and make use of the calculator that you’ll find there. It’s free to use and takes only approximately 30 seconds of your time.
Help when you need it
Using Accident Advice Helpline’s no win no fee* services, as recommended by Esther Rantzen, couldn’t be simpler. Our customer service team is on standby via our free helpline, which can be accessed from any landline by dialling 0800 689 0500, or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile.