How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Personal accident compensation claim

    Personal accident compensation claim is the term that is sometimes used to describe an accident that does not involve a vehicle or equipment or product of any kind. It is commonly a slip, trip or fall – the consequences of which was not the fault of the person who has been injured.

    This can happen in several ways. For example, you could be walking across a car park and suddenly find yourself lying face down on the floor. You have tripped over an inspection chamber cover that had not been not been fitted back properly by workmen. You may have fractured your wrist or broken your ankle as a result. If so, this would be a personal accident compensation claim. So, how do you go about getting some money for the hurt and indignity of the event? Here is a step-by-step guide to making a personal accident compensation claim with the leading law firm, Accident Advice Helpline.

    Step-by-step guide to making a personal accident compensation claim

    Step 1: Get the medical attention that you need. Medical records will be the evidence of your injury that the lawyer handling your case will require. While you are waiting to be taken to the Accident & Emergency Department, or to be taken back home to make an appointment with your GP, think about the sort of evidence that you could collect at the scene. If you are not able to do this yourself you could get someone to do it for you. Think about taking a photograph of the inspection chamber cover that you tripped over and record the contact details for the people who witnessed the accident.

    Step 2: Make an initial call to Accident Advice Helpline (AAH). Any time of the day or night is just fine to make the call on 0800 689 0500 – or 0333 500 0993 free from a mobile. Friendly, professional advisers will explain how the procedure of a personal accident compensation claim works. Some people choose to start their personal accident compensation claim by using AAH’s 30-second question and answer test. This is just a way of entering some simple details about your accident into a computer programme, which then gives an indication whether the case is likely to be successful or not. If you would prefer, you can also access this test on-line.

    Step 3: Accident Advice Helpline will allocate you a personal injury lawyer who is experienced in dealing with a personal accident compensation claim. You will work together to identify who was at fault for the accident. This would usually be the person or organisation that was responsible for the maintenance of the inspection chamber cover or the maintenance contractors who were responsible for replacing it correctly.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Many organisations take out an insurance policy called a Public Liability Insurance Policy to cover them for claims of this sort. You will provide the details of the accident, details of your injuries and details of any money that you have lost because you are injured.

    Step 4: Your case will probably be handled by a combination of phone calls and written evidence. Only a very small proportion of cases actually end up as a court case. Once the case is resolved you will receive your compensation.

    Date Published: 21st June 2013

    Author: Sharon Parry

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority with licence number 591058 and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.