How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Personal accident and illness insurance

    Personal accident and illness insurance

    Personal accident and illness insurance – what is it?

    Personal accident and illness insurance is actually the one insurance policy that most of us should have and don’t! Often referred to as “Sickness, Accident and Illness insurance”, or “Accident and Sickness cover”, this is an insurance policy that pays you either a monthly sum or a percentage of your lost salary if you are unable to work due to illness or injury.

    When you take out a policy, you decide whether you would like to cover a specific amount each month or whether to link it to a proportion of your salary. You also decide whether you need long or short term cover. Most policies are available from 12 months to several years, up until your retirement age.

    Do you need personal accident and illness insurance?

    Well all insurance is to cover you against possibilities – you need to weigh up the odds yourself, but according to Met Life in 2012, 21% of employees have suffered long-term ill health during the course of their working life. Further to this, data from insurer LV in 2011 showed that the average length of a claim was a huge 7 years, so you may want to consider taking out a longer term policy.

    What types of accident and illness insurance are there?

    The two main terms you might find in different policies are “own occupation” and “any occupation”. “Any occupation” means that if you are unable to continue in your current role due to accident or illness, the insurer expects you to find any suitable work, but “own occupation” means that the insurance will pay out if you are unable to continue in your current occupation.

    Does accident and illness insurance actually pay out?

    Yes, in fact almost all providers of accident and illness insurance have payout rates of over 90%.  This makes accident and illness insurance a much better option than, say, loan PPI which has a very low payout rate and only covers one liability.

    Open Claim Calculator

    So what happens if I claim?

    Simple. As soon as you stop working due to accident or sickness, you use your GP’s note to make a claim with your insurer. After your deferred period (a number of months of no payment, as detailed in your policy), your insurer starts to pay you a monthly benefit. This monthly payment continues until you either return to work or reach the maximum payout period (again, as detailed in your policy).

    Do the maths

    You need to decide on the best course of action for your circumstances.  It’s worth considering what you would do if you were no longer able to work. Incapacity benefit is currently less than £100 per week, so you need to have options for living on a reduced amount if you choose not to take out accident and illness insurance.

    Accident Advice Helpline

    If you want to claim personal injury compensation following a non-fault accident then contact us for some expert advice. We are a law firm with the resources to help you through a bad patch and advice you on your rights if you’ve been hurt.

    Call now on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile phone. We’re here to take your call about personal accident and illness insurance.

    Date Published: 9th December 2012

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Personal injury claims

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority with licence number 591058 and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.