How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Pavement claim

    Pavement claim

    What is a pavement claim?

    People are injured by slipping and tripping on pavements every day.

    This can result in a range of injuries, from minor cuts and bruises to more severe injuries such as sprains and broken bones. Depending on the severity of the injury, the accident may result in lost wages because the injured person had to take time off work and has accumulated other out-of-pocket expenses.

    To be eligible to make a pavement claim, your injuries must have been somebody else’s fault, which means that there must have been some sort of defect in the pavement.

    What is a defect in the pavement?

    A pavement with potholes or uneven paving slabs could be deemed to be defective. No pavement is perfectly flat, but if the potholes are more than an inch deep or there is a height difference of more than an inch between paving slabs, it is likely that the pavement will be deemed to be defective.

    There are also temporary defects that can cause accidents. This could be where the person responsible for the maintenance of the pavement has failed to maintain it, for instance by failing to clear snow and ice during the winter months.

    Open Claim Calculator

    How do I make a pavement claim?

    To make a pavement claim, you will need:

    • evidence that the pavement was defective
    • evidence of the injuries that you sustained
    • documentation showing how much wages you have lost or how much out-of-pocket expenses you have incurred

    Evidence that the pavement was defective could be photographs of the pothole that you tripped over. You can prove your loss of wages and other out-of-pocket expenses by pay slips and receipts.

    As part of your pavement claim you may be required to undertake a medical assessment to prove the severity of the injuries that you sustained.

    Your claim must be started within three years of the date of your accident. You can find out whether you have a valid claim by taking the unique 30-second online test at Accident Advice Helpline’s website or give one of our friendly advisors a call on 0800 689 0500 or from your mobile on 0333 500 0993.

    You need professional representation to make a successful pavement claim. You can maximise your chances of securing the compensation you deserve by using the services of a solicitor or a specialist law firm such as Accident Advice Helpline to help you make your claim.

    About Accident Advice Helpline

    Accident Advice Helpline has been helping people claim personal injury compensation for many years. Accident Advice Helpline’s patron is consumer champion, Dame Esther Rantzen and we are regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

    Accident Advice Helpline has inhouse lawyers who work on a no-win, no-fee basis which means that you do not need to worry about unexpected legal bills.

    In general, a claim can be dealt with over the telephone and you will not usually need to attend court, although you may need to attend one medical assessment to document the level of your injuries.

    Call now on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile phone.

    Date Published: 8th April 2013

    Author: ffross

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority with licence number 591058 and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.